Hardware for live performance?

Hey Alice,

I really dig your vibe :D
I love what ppl are able to do with modern technology.

About your setup, I do have a lot of ideas about it. Stationary gear vs mobile gear is always something I've been exploring both. I recently discovered that mobile DAWs have grown a LOT! So I was very intrigued to what it can do at this moment. Then I was stunned when some dude hooked his AI and his midi keyboard to his tablet.
So, it comes a bit down to on how much your willing to change.
Your setup atm is already quite road friendly. Although, if your willing to put effort in to change your habits and workflow, you can still downsize, A LOT! Usually, artists aren't willing to do that much. There's only a small portion of artists that dare to change their ways. Like me for instance. For my PC setup, I'm never gonna change Reason being my main DAW. I don't want to learn anything else. Tried about a dozen of AIs and then focussed on Reason so much. Put so much work in it.
But, once in a while, I want to do something (run one particular VST) or come across some amazing tech (tablet with AI and midi keyboard) that I just have to explore.

Now, your question:
How attached are you to the drum pads? Would you be willing to convert to finger pads?
I'm currently absolutely in love with this little thing:
MPKmini_angle_web_lg.jpg
Gives you keys, pads, knobs, pitch mod stick and some button control. All in a small package (Dimensions: 12.5" x 7.13" x 1.75") and still very usable.

Check coldman rocking the mpk mini like a king :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7c-98HIo3M

If you stay with a laptop or macbook, you can get it small. You still be able to use ableton and logic. If you want to go smaller then that you'll have to learn a mobile DAW if your thinking of the tablet option. I'm a pc and android guy so I don't know too much of apple gear. Garageband for ipad was what started me looking into mobile DAWs. On android, I'm currently looking into buying FL studio mobile. Audio evolution mobile, music studio and caustic are probably my 2nd choices. The stuff you can do in those is amazing. Audio evoltion, FL studio mobile and garageband support midi keyboard hookup and AI hookup (don't know of garageband does support AI hookup , the other 2 do definitely).

Also, the scarlett is nice. For my mobile setup, I'm currently looking into Irig. The pro duo to be precise.
ik_multimedia_ip_irig_produo_in_irig_pro_universal_audio_1182299.jpg

Eventually, I can fit everything in a small bagpack. Tablet, Irig AI, akai mpk mini and a microphone. Only my saxophone will be in a seperate case.

My current on the road setup is:

KORG padKontrol
Tascam u100 (not very content about it, will change it in the future)
Novation impusel 25
15,6 inch laptop
Alt saxophone
German maestro gmp 8.300D (IMO, no better production headphones around)
Also, been looking into mobile speakers. I tend to build projects from time to time and I'm gonna build a mobile speaker setup from a pelican case. Check link if interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUmZ68ZeBsw You can build em in all kinds of sizes and quality.

Last edited:
Hi thanks for your in depth response - very kind of you!

I am pretty attached to the drum pads if I'm honest - I find it hard to sing and finger drum at the same time. They are also just really fun to play. Definitely need to look in to a smaller mac - when funds allow - and I'll also look in to the audio interface.

That's pretty impressive that you can fit it in to a backpack - that would make playing out-of-city gigs and festivals a dream.

I think it's hard getting a balance between weight and what works visually during your performance. Thanks again for your input - lots to think about.

Last edited:
Your electric violin is cool! My old neighbor has one and we record some songs with it, but nothings online. I don't perform much anymore, I just produce now...but performing is still in the back of my mind. idk, we'll see...

But cool set up! Everything looks really fun and sounds good! :)

Last edited:
Back