Good Midi Pad Controllers For Hiphop?

aborgraffiti

I just wanted to ask if anybody has any preferences on Pad Controllers like the Akai MPD26, I'm looking for something to make hiphop beats with and wanted to make sure there isn't a better MIDI Pad, I was also looking at the Korg Padkontrol but wasn't sure what kind of music they had in mind for the particular controller and how it compared.

I'll be using it on Mac OSX and ableton

Last edited:
I just wanted to ask if anybody has any preferences on Pad Controllers like the Akai MPD26, I'm looking for something to make hiphop beats with and wanted to make sure there isn't a better MIDI Pad, I was also looking at the Korg Padkontrol but wasn't sure what kind of music they had in mind for the particular controller and how it compared.

I'll be using it on Mac OSX and ableton

MPD or the MPC..

I went with the mpd24, not dissapointed.

To my knowledge not unless your fingers can tap that fast.

I say the MPD24 over the MPD26 due to the fact that you can score an MPD24 on ebay for 50$ if you look in the right place.

If you can afford the mpd26, definitely go with that.

I have a padkontrol/mpd18. And even though I like the mpd18, I highly suggest a 24/32.
Padkontrol
Maschine mikro
mpc studio
quneo
mpk series

Trust me on this. You may not want knobs or sliders now. But one day, you will.

I have a padkontrol/mpd18. And even though I like the mpd18, I highly suggest a 24/32.
Padkontrol
Maschine mikro
mpc studio
quneo
mpk series

Trust me on this. You may not want knobs or sliders now. But one day, you will.

do you think the maschine mikro mk2 would work well with ableton or would it only be good for the maschine 2.2 software?

memorecks did a maschine thing with ableton

I only own padkon/mpd18[I do not recommend the mpd18 unless you don't want knobs or sliders]

I'm not a big fan of the mpd series.
I have a padkontrol and I love it.
If i'd want to upgrade from that, I'd definitely go for maschine.
For knobs and faders, there's loads of midi controllers out there that'll give you good knobs and faders. I have a Remote zero sl , old make.

One old but good pads are the one from the Roland R8 series (rythm machine)
It is hard surface and very expressive. Still don't know why no companies are keeping this idea of hard surface for playing pads...

The MPX8, MPX16, and MPK225 are some Akai units that (finally) have some great pads.
You can identify them easily because they're the only multicolored-LED Akai pads available.

Other (older) Akai pads are horrible.
These bad ones include all of the grey rectangular pads with a circular sensor underneath,
as well as the the cheapo red-LED pads from the MPK Mini.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
from what ive heard the mpd pads arent as responsive as one would wish, but it can be fixed by an upgrade kit. I myself own a maschine and if u can afford it i would deffenitly recomend. It increased my workflow 10x. Digging through a song for usefull samples is so fast and smooth in maschine, its sick. Never used in combination with another software tho, so i dont really know how that works. If u just get a controller i would recomend something with knobs/sliders cuz u wanna be able to tweak the sound while ur playing.

from what ive heard the mpd pads arent as responsive as one would wish, but it can be fixed by an upgrade kit. I myself own a maschine and if u can afford it i would deffenitly recomend. It increased my workflow 10x. Digging through a song for usefull samples is so fast and smooth in maschine, its sick. Never used in combination with another software tho, so i dont really know how that works. If u just get a controller i would recomend something with knobs/sliders cuz u wanna be able to tweak the sound while ur playing.

Def agree that Maschine improved my workflow 10x.

I create the basic drum pattern, samples and melodies in Maschine and then export them into FL Studio for final instrumentation, sequencing and mixing.

Def agree that Maschine improved my workflow 10x.

I create the basic drum pattern, samples and melodies in Maschine and then export them into FL Studio for final instrumentation, sequencing and mixing.
How do u do that, do u just export the patterns as wav files and sequence them in FL? I love maschine but i hate the sequencer in it, is it smooth just lay out your patterns and shit in maschine and then sequence is it in FL?

How do u do that, do u just export the patterns as wav files and sequence them in FL? I love maschine but i hate the sequencer in it, is it smooth just lay out your patterns and shit in maschine and then sequence is it in FL?

Absolutely. I also am not a big fan of the sequencer, but the ability to chop samples and lay down drum tracks with their crazy drum packs is much better than in my DAW. Plus, I like the swing and quantizing I can do in Maschine.

I solo each individual track and then save it as a .wav file to drag into FL. Then, I can go in and layer other drum sounds if I need to, sequence, add in some vsts, etc.

Last edited:
If I had ableton I wouldn't get maschine it already has a great drum sequencer and as far as pads go I'd get a mpd and modify it with mpcstuff.com pads and cork set its a cheap upgrade and easy to do with tutorials on there website and YouTube.....maschine is awsome in stand alone but mixing it in with your DAW is a pain in the ass

If I had ableton I wouldn't get maschine it already has a great drum sequencer and as far as pads go I'd get a mpd and modify it with mpcstuff.com pads and cork set its a cheap upgrade and easy to do with tutorials on there website and YouTube.....maschine is awsome in stand alone but mixing it in with your DAW is a pain in the ass
Or buy the korg padkontrol and don't have to go through all that hassle.
Also, second hand can save you a lot of bucks.

Back