A good mic on a budget. (200$ or less)

A2lander

Hey guys, I am new to music and I want to buy a mic. I been looking around and seeing a a lot of mics in my range. Does anyone have any recommendations for mics that you have heard or used? I been seeing shure, akg, mxl, and rode mics. Also it will be hip hop and r&b vocals. Thanks for the help.

It totally comes down to which interface you're going to be using. Are you using an external soundcard? Do you want to be able to connect the microphone directly to the computer via USB or jack? Or would you rather connect it through XLR to an audio interface?

You can get surprisingly good microphones for 200 dollars actually!
I'd recommend the Blue Yeti, as this is an easy to connect microphone (through USB) and is easily transported around. It has several features that makes it very useful. You would need to buy a pop-filter for it seperately though, however you can get good quality pop-filters for 20-50 dollars max. The Pro version of the Blue Yeti also has an XLR input which can be useful if you're going to record other ways than just USB, however the price goes up to around 300 dollars then.

I've also heard that the Audio-Technica AT2020 is a very good microphone, although I haven't had any experience with it at all, so I can't really comment there.
Anyways, best of luck with buying a microphone buddy! ;)

Last edited:
Rode
Studio Projects
Audio Technica

They all make good mics in that price range. Make sure you have good preamps and you understand mic positioning. Mic positioning will make or break your sound here.

AKG C3000. Great mic, I paid like $500 for mine if I remember right(maybe 400), but see them all the time for around $200 these days brand new.

EDIT: I just saw the NT1A is in the same price range now. Gear is getting cheap!!! You got a few options.

Last edited:
Back