Going hardware.

i.Arkitek

I am planning to buy some hardware samplers. I was wondering a few things.

1. Can I delete all of the stock sounds?

2. How do you organize the sounds by type? (ie:brass, strings, bass, ect...) to find the sounds you want fast.

BTW: I'm looking into a few akai series samplers, and an asr10 rack.

1. It depends on the sampler.....some don't have any stock sounds at all and require you to load samples and programs whenever you switch them on.

2. I organize sounds by type but I also save drum kits and organize loops by BPM, key and title.

Using a hardware sampler is not like using a software sampler, you have to have the patience and mind of a safe cracker and you need to memorize page numbers etc in order to navigate quickly.....you can however hook some hardware samplers up to a computer for software editing but it often requires legacy computer software and/or shit like old ass SCSI cards.

Look into Maschine. It does run off of software but that allows you to do so much more. It has an awesome browser with tagging so you can find your sounds super fast. It comes with a lot of stock sounds. You're bound to like some of them. It's a great sampler and a great piece of hardware. It integrates into DAWs really easily also.

Look into Maschine. It does run off of software but that allows you to do so much more. It has an awesome browser with tagging so you can find your sounds super fast. It comes with a lot of stock sounds. You're bound to like some of them. It's a great sampler and a great piece of hardware. It integrates into DAWs really easily also.

I have maschine 2.0 already, and I have decided to keep it and forget the whole "Hardware" phase lol.

In all honesty I went to a major studio for the first time and got infatuated by all of the gear. But After a little research I decided to just keep doint things my way.

Thank you all.
-Arkitek

I have maschine 2.0 already, and I have decided to keep it and forget the whole "Hardware" phase lol.

In all honesty I went to a major studio for the first time and got infatuated by all of the gear. But After a little research I decided to just keep doint things my way.

Thank you all.
-Arkitek

How come you've changed your mind?

Last edited:

How come you've changed your mind?

Because I realized that there are a dozen good quality plug ins (and other ways) to make a digital track sound more like "Hardware". I know that the plug ins/tricks wont sound the same as the original hardware, But to me it's not really about sounding 100% "Authentic" its just about having a good sound.

GOLDEN RULE: If it SOUNDS good, than it IS good.

I too have Maschine and apart from my bass guitar and my voice all other sounds are generated from it. For me it's in the mixing stage where I want more of a hardware experience and some analogue warmth.
I've been looking at the Allen & Heath Zed-R16 firewire mixer... It ain't cheap but I'm thinking it could be the centrepiece of an almost perfect hybrid soft/hard-ware set up... Good preamps (and 16 of them) nice EQ and an excuse for me to get a couple of hardware synths into the mix...

Last edited:
wen you buy a hardware sampler, i found it is import end you buy
a drum Maschine like the Ni Maschine. Its very easy to handle with this old
stuff you are not happy it take to much time to add new samples in the library.
Better is you work with software sampler or new Drum Maschine like Ni
Maschine or other good stuff. Not the old thing.

Back