Focal CMS 65 vs. CMS 50 (Upgrade from Yamaha HS series)

JoshHPMusic

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade from consumer level speakers (Yamaha HS5) to something that will provide a little more mix clarity and a little more oomph. After doing quite a bit of research, I've come across the the Focal CMS series as perhaps my best option for speakers that translate really well and provide deeper bottom end than the Yammy's.

I wanted to find out if anyone has experience between the CMS 50 and the CMS 65 and can provide advice on which speaker will be better for my needs. I will be making primarily a mix of alternative, rock, R&B, with some electronic elements. Meaning, I'll be dealing with some sounds that rely on lower frequencies, timbrally. This makes me think that the 6.5" woofer would be better as it reaches down to 45Hz (-3dB), whereas the 5" model only goes down to 55Hz and -3dB. Either way, much better than the HS5's low end rolloff at 74Hz, -3dB.

The prices used are actually almost the same, and the most I could possibly save with the CMS 50 over the 65 would be less than $100. In this case, I could possibly get a sub, but I surely will not be shelling out $1000 for a box that provides 45Hz of low frequencies. Under the $300 range, new or used, is possible though.

Anyways, experiences? Thoughts? Does one or the other lead to better mix translation, even in modern genres like R&B?

Thanks so much,
-Josh

Back