First Piece of Hardware

Feel Good

Hey all,

I have decided it is time to take the plunge into the world of hardware. I have been making music with a midi keyboard and laptop for about 3 years now and want to make the experience more hands on.

My price range is really anything under a grand. Obviously the cheaper the better, but I do not want to cut corners on quality. I will be moving into a different living situation in the next few years and plan on building a full size studio with a friend of mine. We are going to pool together funds so we can afford some of the pricier pieces of equipment. But for now, I want something that will benefit me the most and can later work into the full studio set-up.

Essentially my situation is this:

I would like something relatively small and affordable. Something that will help bring me out of the computer and add some depth/creativity to my production process. I am very interested in both the TR-8 and TB-3 from the Roland Aira line as possible buys, but wanted to post on here to get everyones two cents. What do you think about one of those as a first piece of hardware? What else would you recommend as something that I would get a lot of use from?

In addition, I also plan on replacing my M-Audio 49 midi keyboard with something smaller and more portable. I'm considering something like the new keyboards by Akai, but I'm really open to suggestions. If anyone has any suggestions for me regarding that as well, that would be great!

It may also be worthwhile to mention that I am a techno/house producer. Thank you for your advice!!!!! It is very much appreciated.

Last edited:
I'd get the TR-8. It's easily the most fun thing Roland has done in years. Simple, hands-on, sounds good.

Back