Favourite piece of hardware gear!!!??

Raj.Forever

ALTHOUGH THE WORLD IS MOVING TO A FULLY DIGITAL REALM IN REGARDS OF THE CREATION OF MUSIC IN MOST GENRES. WHAT IS YOUR MOST CHERISHED PIECE OF HARDWARE?

:bigeyes:

MINE IS THE PRO VLA II TUBE COMPRESSOR WORKS WONDERS AND IS AFFORDABLE WITH GREAT RESULTS.

WHATS YOURS?:D

a patchbay!!

all those wires, inputs and outputs...

a patchbay combined with colored patchcables makes life easier on you!

this way I can connect any output to any input on the hardware collection that keeps growing and growing.
hardware beats the all-in-one computer by far.

a computer is made to do calculations (hence the name, computer is a term used to name people who did calculations),
hardware is made to do the thing their names says it does.

a synth combines frequencies,
a compressor compress frequencies,
a (guitar) fx adds effects on the input
and so on,
but they are good at it!!!

that's why I use plug-ins as least as possible, they eat all my recording memory!!

cheap hardware produced cheap sounds,
quality hardware produces quality sounds,
even if they are 'out of date'.

and that quality can come for a low price, if you know what to look for.

Last edited:
Forsell SMP-2 preamps. In combination with halfway decent mics this baby makes your life so easy. Awesome christal clear and detailed sound.

And my Technics 1200s of course. These things are built forever.

Currently a Buzz Audio REQ-2.2.
The transformer saturation option on it and way you can sculpt with the filters make it epic for a drum buss.
I still haven't found a software EQ that comes anywhere close...
API Compressors for drums also are a favorite.

The MV8800, so much it can do from sampling to multitracking to mastering, its basically like having the Ren and Logic in hardware form.

Hey, ILL GREEN, I think I saw you on some sampler forum from years ago talking about the Gemini DS8. I picked one up recently and had a question that got no responses. My DS-8 has a hiss from all the outputs no matter what the volume is set at the hiss remains. I was wondering if that was standard or if something is wrong. If thats not normal I work with electronics so I'll take it apart and try to fix it. Thanks in advance.

Yeah, I remember your tag, waddap Frank.

I had the DS8 years ago back in 1993 so I'm just going off by memory. But yes, it did had a white noise. Not too noisy though, it was slight. I also remember that some days it was quiet too. After 6 months of use, one of the outs gave up on me and then one of the inputs. I was only 16 at the time so I pretty much used it that way until it finally bricked. My brother says that I was probably sampling at high levels and clipped it to death.

Robo Play feature was a waste, I don't know what thats suppose to do but never did nothing for me.

Thanks for the reply Ill Green. I'm going to take mine apart then for some surgery. But thread specific I'd say my favorite piece of hardware at the moment is my Ensoniq VFX. Late 80's early 90's digital synth with a really thick sound. I've been using it a lot lately and I had forgotten how nice it sounds.

Back