expression on distortion pedals

Whiskersofsteel

Ok so here it goes,

I want to get an mxr fullbore distortion pedal, but I have one big problem... Alot of my song use progressive distortion with an expression pedal which hasn't been a problem because I'm using a digitech multi effects pedal, which I can assign the pedal to modify gain. But it's a cheaper pedal and I wanna upgrade my sound quality for the sake of recording with an fx chain. But the mxr is a simple on and off stomp box... Is there anyway I can add an expression pedal to that? Or maybe even route a volume pedal before it to modify the amount of gain?

you would better off trying to mod the mxr to accept a control voltage from a foot pedal to drive the amount of distortion that is applied

Craig Anderton has some interesting thoughts on this sort of thing, and even suggests that you run your signal in parallel to a mixer where one line is the clean signal and the other line is the distortion followed by a volume pedal allowing you to mix as much or as little of the distorted signal as you want

So, when you say kidding the mxr, are you saying I should open it up and modify or add a pot that connects to an external expression pedal? Or is that way off?

open it up and modify - maybe add a socket that lets you connect the lugs of the pot in the expression pedal to the same points on the distortion amount pot in the mxr - i.e. you would need to mod both pedals to do this and use a trs cable to connect the two

Back