Equipment for a dorm set up

crimsonhawk47

I made a thread a while ago about which DAW would provide a smoother workflow without MIDI (Can link if requested)

I tried to get this mic of mine working and realized it's probably going to be a pain in the ass without an interface, so.

1) What's the best interface for plain vocal recordings (Maybe a guitar?)

2) I have a pair of Sennheisser HD 280 pro's. The only time I can mix any tracks at my treated place is on sundays for maybe 2 hours at a time. Should I get some reference monitors for the dorm or just practice using headphones. I know that's frowned upon, but at this point I just want to make music in an non-ideal situation. For instance, the studiophile av40's are 25% off. Good deal? Or stick to just mixing a track on sundays?

3) I have a Rode NT1A and an Sm57. I've recently been using the sm57 more cause I felt I was too harsh on the rode. I've heard dynamics are better for non treated rooms, like the SM7. Should I stick with one of my two mics or get the sm7?

Again. None of it's ideal. I want good quality, but I also just want to make music.

There are a ton of simple interfaces with preamps for one or two mics out there. Probably the most popular right now is the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, though they also have a single-input version the Scarlett Solo. Both come in a 'Studio' package with some questionably good headphones, and a halfway decent studio microphone. The preamps on Focusrite stuff are tough to beat for the price.

I would be amiss if I didn't mention our crew at Icon has its little MicU Solo that is perfect for a single-mic setup, with 24/192 quality. It costs slightly more than the solo, and a bit less than the 2i2.

The Shure SM57 is a fantastic mic. It's exactly the same as the legendary SM58, but without the windscreen parts. I love it, and there's nothing wrong with using it. Your Rode might be a little nicer sounding if you're in a proper studio with all the necessary treatments and a decent interface.

In the end, it's up to what you can afford, and what you like!

Cheers,

Rob

I recommend waiting for a better deal. More like 50% off.

I use Sennheiser 280's as well and they work good. They get low, lower than my bx5a's. They are loud and clear and pretty responsive. I would stick to the HD 280 Pro's. it keeps the noise out and keeps it quiet. Maybe one day you'll save more money and some small monitors will be on sale.

An M-audio Fast track comes with Ableton Live. I love Ableton for the most part. A few quirks but I love it for what I do, which is EDM and metal. Abletno Live works very quickly with Midi and easily. Lots of features as well. Ableton Live effects are quite good and make really good transparent clear sounds. But in a full mix it sounds surprisingly more analog with everything put together.

Maudio fast track with ableton runs about 99. I also recommend Antares Mic Mod. It can change a mic into other ones really well.

Back