Dynamic or Compression microphone?

chopsui

I've researched and listened online to the basic differences between the two. Compression seems to grab much more detail and background sound, very vibrant, however for my purposes I have to ask...

I'm an electrohouse producer and am looking to record some vocal leads for my songs. I'll probably be autotuning and using pitch correction so, which would be better to use? I want the vibrant sound of compression but don't know if it's going to muddy up the track, because most importantly it has to sound clean. any input?

Condenser mics, not compression :) There isn't a totally "right" answer for this, but a large-diaphragm condenser would probably work the best here, depending on the vocalist and available recording space - the latter has a big impact on how it's gonna sound. There are probably more choices than ever for just about every budget so it's a tough road to go down simply because...well, you can't really pick a mic from just looking at spec sheets. The best option, if possible, is to try and narrow it down to some choices depending on how much you've got to spend and what you can pick out from the jungle of the internets and then try those out.

Condenser mics, not compression :) There isn't a totally "right" answer for this, but a large-diaphragm condenser would probably work the best here, depending on the vocalist and available recording space - the latter has a big impact on how it's gonna sound. There are probably more choices than ever for just about every budget so it's a tough road to go down simply because...well, you can't really pick a mic from just looking at spec sheets. The best option, if possible, is to try and narrow it down to some choices depending on how much you've got to spend and what you can pick out from the jungle of the internets and then try those out.

haha yeah I realized it was compression but was too lazy to change it. I'm not really in a studio so I think I'm gonna end up going with a dynamic mic just to cut out all the crap noise. I'm thinking about the SHURE 57 or 58 but from what I hear and read they are more revered for their indestructibility than sound quality. Prolly gonna spend around 100-160, hopefully guitar center will let me test some out.

Back