Does a Mac offer anything over a PC?

You're definitely my new hero :cool:
Can i redirect all those apple schmucks to you, that want to convince me that Apple really is better, I just don't realise it yet?
:D I've just given up on answering. I just refuse to talk to those people about any computer technology :D

Sure thing, I will tell em straight up....of course whether or not people want to hear it is up to them though. The most important thing is helping those who want to make an informed decision rather than just have someone tell them what they want to hear......you know the type, there is always someone on here asking questions to receive an answer they have already decided upon......"should I buy those Beats by Dre headphones I have already decided I want? please tell me that I am making the right decision or I will disregard your answer and buy them anyway, thanks".

sure thing, i will tell em straight up....of course whether or not people want to hear it is up to them though. The most important thing is helping those who want to make an informed decision rather than just have someone tell them what they want to hear......you know the type, there is always someone on here asking questions to receive an answer they have already decided upon......"should i buy those beats by dre headphones i have already decided i want? Please tell me that i am making the right decision or i will disregard your answer and buy them anyway, thanks".
lol

when you ask a question like that you'll get a lot of "opinion", I've used both for music.
the one thing I can think of that a Mac can do (natively, no workarounds) that a PC can't
is "join" audio devices together.
So I could have two audio interfaces on the Mac , tell the preferences to bond them together and show them
as one device and then select that one device in the DAW , even though it's two devices.
(I used a PC for Music, went to a 5k mac and finally went back to a PC)
Dakoda.

when you ask a question like that you'll get a lot of "opinion", I've used both for music.
the one thing I can think of that a Mac can do (natively, no workarounds) that a PC can't
is "join" audio devices together.
So I could have two audio interfaces on the Mac , tell the preferences to bond them together and show them
as one device and then select that one device in the DAW , even though it's two devices.
(I used a PC for Music, went to a 5k mac and finally went back to a PC)
Dakoda.

Yeah it shouldn't come as a surprise that the Mac has some elements that we can attribute to it's popularity as a music production machine but unfortunately it now also has all the elements of an inside-out facebook machine, so while it's true that there are some theoretical advantages they are often negated by some crappy design decision or another, like yeah you can plug in a multitude of different crappy external audio interfaces into a Mac but it's still not the most ideal solution.

I've made a multi output device, but that's only available on a mac? PC people can't do that? hm..I haven't look at a PC a long time.

Last edited:
I've made a multi output device, but that's only available on a mac? PC people can't do that? hm..I haven't look at a PC a long time.

I use a multi output device on the PC which is called a sound card, it plugs directly into the PCI bus which allows for an obscene amount of low latency inputs and outputs in comparison to using some external audio interface using some middleman protocol such as USB which taxes the CPU unnecessarily on top of each additional active input and output hence why many who used the old Mac Pro lamented the loss of those card slots on the new inside out Mac Pro because it really is a better way to connect an audio interface. I doubt very much that adding additional external audio interfaces would be a good idea but yeah I think you can do that on a PC too if you feel like your computer ain't running slow enough, but yeah I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's easier to do that shit on a Mac.....it's just not as impressive a feature as say core MIDI using MOTU's MIDI time stamping protocol with MOTU's hardware for example because there isn't much advantage in making a shit idea slightly less shitty when the alternative is much better, another example would be the way Fruity Loops makes drawing notes into the piano roll less shitty than other software where it is assumed that you would be using a MIDI keyboard that shits all over the mouse in regard to efficiency....know what I am saying?

nah, not rly. explain more.
Ok, basically using multiple audio outputs from a single audio interface connected directly to the PCI bus of the computer is better than using multiple audio outputs from multiple external audio interfaces which require additional system resources to run.....in other words routing your audio to a bunch of different audio interfaces is a shit idea to begin with and so touting some advantage in the way Apple handles that disadvantageous way of working is tantamount to turd polishing.

It's quite simple really, polishing a turd of an idea provides no advantage over a better alternative idea.....I don't doubt that Apple really makes that turd shine but it's just not better than throwing a single audio interface into a PC tower system that provides more inputs and outputs than an inside out Mac facebook machine could handle natively using a bunch of external audio interfaces.

oh I see. Sorry, I was trolling a little bit earlier, but I see what you're saying. I was talking about audio devices on the computer system. On a Mac, there's an output for your headphones, audio interface, and primary sound driver. A multi-output device is a way for mac users to combine all three of those outputs into one collective output. Sometimes, you want the primary sound driver to send audio information to, say for example, video streaming software but if you choose your audio interface as your output, it wont go through the streaming software so you have to make a combined output. It's all internal to the mac. I only have one external interface.

I shouldn't have said device, but it's just combining multiple outputs into a new one that selects those multiple outputs. lol...but ya, I see what you're saying.

Last edited:
And for the record, i don't use Facebook ...but I have a Mac. I used facebook way back before the myspace sheep flocked over, but when they did I bounced out. Cheers.

I own a pc and it works fine. I've never owned a mac but from my understanding is that the only difference between the two is the os. Also windows have daw exclusives such as Fl studio and mac have exclusives such as logic but if you're using Reason it doesn't really matter which one you pick. However you are able to load windows on your mac with boot camp but running windows on a mac is pointless in my opinion. So at the end of the day it just depends on what daw and os you prefer. Specs is the greatest factor on running vsts and daws so as far as I'm concerned they should perform around the same if they have the same specs. I would actually recommend if you have extra money to spend on an i7 and 16GB and the price would still probably be lower than the i5 8GB mac. Unless you just got money to spend, prefer mac os, or just like the aesthetics of a mac I would go with pc.

Back