Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does a Mac offer anything over a PC?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Speed. the basic mac has the dual core processor so it's can run more applications and run faster.
    And you can cut the haters with it, cause it's thin as hell. The new one is hellaaaa thin, ...but the keyboard looks stupid being a touch screen....and the USB is going away so get used to a new cable or somehow connecting your midi controllers a different way if you get the new macbook.
    Last edited by Epsilon-144; 04-17-2017 at 12:12 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon-144 View Post
    Speed. the basic mac has the dual core processor
    Wow, 15 year old technology!

Thanks
    lol ye, but this was the main point of the post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon-144 View Post
    And you can cut the haters with it, cause it's thin as hell.
    Last edited by Epsilon-144; 04-17-2017 at 12:30 AM.

Thanks
    In my experience, only thing I can say between Mac & PC is that my Mac had a lot less need for drivers, just plug & play for the most part.

Thanks
    The popularity of Macs for music production is actually based upon the fact that they were used to control external DSP hardware which did all the heavy lifting for the computer, consequently many uninformed people opted for under powered Macs to run software that relied upon native processing because they didn't understand that in big studios the processing was being done by powerful Pro Tools DSP hardware and not the wimpy Mac used to control it.....that's where the whole "Macs are better for music" halo effect comes from......the other cognitive error people make is assuming that when they replace an old PC with a new Mac that it's the brand that makes it better rather than the fact that they are merely replacing older technology with newer technology.....same goes for replacing outdated tower systems with laptops and inside-out all-in-one computers which are actually crappy in comparison to a new tower system, in other words they only see the improvement in comparison to the old shit they are replacing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hollandturbine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hollandturbine View Post
    The popularity of Macs for music production is actually based upon the fact that they were used to control external DSP hardware which did all the heavy lifting for the computer, consequently many uninformed people opted for under powered Macs to run software that relied upon native processing because they didn't understand that in big studios the processing was being done by powerful Pro Tools DSP hardware and not the wimpy Mac used to control it.....that's where the whole "Macs are better for music" halo effect comes from......the other cognitive error people make is assuming that when they replace an old PC with a new Mac that it's the brand that makes it better rather than the fact that they are merely replacing older technology with newer technology.....same goes for replacing outdated tower systems with laptops and inside-out all-in-one computers which are actually crappy in comparison to a new tower system, in other words they only see the improvement in comparison to the old shit they are replacing.
    I freaking love this explanation!

Thanks
    Thats a nice theory but the age difference between my PC was maybe a year old and thats being generous. I didn't have a gaming rig or anything but my PC was pretty powerful. My DAW itself would take minutes to load. My plugins would take minutes to load and multiple seconds to toggle between the presets. I was limited to the amount of plugins I could use before the CPU starting crashing my DAW. I had this Mac that was given to me but I didn't want to use it because I was a life long PC user. I was too lazy to learn the OS and said screw that and only used it when I absolutely had to for school and whatever.
    Until one day, my PC took some damage that couldn't be saved so I was forced to switch to the Mac. And DAMN!

It can definitely handle the multiple-processing a lot better. I don't have the same issues that I did and I can actually complete a project now the way that I want instead of handicapping myself due to CPU usage. It even renders projects quicker in After Effects - instead of 8-12 hours it only takes 4 hours.

I don't claim to be a subject matter expert with computers but based on my own experiences - I am permanently switching to Mac.

Thanks
    started with, and sticking to windows/linux.
    I heard real studios used macs hooked up to external dsp processing equipment.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alienaircraftmusic View Post
    Thats a nice theory but the age difference between my PC was maybe a year old and thats being generous. I didn't have a gaming rig or anything but my PC was pretty powerful. My DAW itself would take minutes to load. My plugins would take minutes to load and multiple seconds to toggle between the presets. I was limited to the amount of plugins I could use before the CPU starting crashing my DAW. I had this Mac that was given to me but I didn't want to use it because I was a life long PC user. I was too lazy to learn the OS and said screw that and only used it when I absolutely had to for school and whatever.
    Until one day, my PC took some damage that couldn't be saved so I was forced to switch to the Mac. And DAMN!

It can definitely handle the multiple-processing a lot better. I don't have the same issues that I did and I can actually complete a project now the way that I want instead of handicapping myself due to CPU usage. It even renders projects quicker in After Effects - instead of 8-12 hours it only takes 4 hours.

I don't claim to be a subject matter expert with computers but based on my own experiences - I am permanently switching to Mac.
    Yeah the whole brand bias thing isn't just limited to replacing outdated technology with new technology it also applies to replacing low end technology with higher end technology, for example I can buy a new PC that will not perform as well as a new Mac or I can buy a new PC which will perform better than the same new Mac but what I don't do is assume that it's the brand that makes all the difference and I certainly wouldn't say I am permanently switching to the brand of my latest computer just because it was an improvement over the previous one, I prefer to buy what's best at the time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hollandturbine View Post
    Yeah the whole brand bias thing isn't just limited to replacing outdated technology with new technology it also applies to replacing low end technology with higher end technology, for example I can buy a new PC that will not perform as well as a new Mac or I can buy a new PC which will perform better than the same new Mac but what I don't do is assume that it's the brand that makes all the difference and I certainly wouldn't say I am permanently switching to the brand of my latest computer just because it was an improvement over the previous one, I prefer to buy what's best at the time.
    You're definitely my new hero
    Can i redirect all those apple schmucks to you, that want to convince me that Apple really is better, I just don't realise it yet?
    I've just given up on answering. I just refuse to talk to those people about any computer technology

Thread Information