Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does a Mac offer anything over a PC?

Thanks

Does a Mac offer anything over a PC?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey,

I don't mean to regurgitate the age old Mac vs PC debate, but I'm buying a whole new set up, including the computer. I know little about the Mac, but everyone in the industry seems to use one - So is there a reason? Is the sound quality better in any way?

I want an i5, 8gb computer to run the latest version of Reason. A Mac for this I can get for 800... whereas the same spec for a PC is just 350.. Surely its the spec that matters for music production - What benefit is ther in getting a Mac that I won't get with a PC

Better sound quality in any way?

Any advice regards this would be great.

Cheers

Thanks
    Pretty much anything you say supporting one side over the other is going to start an argument... I guess here goes haha.

I would say that it's generally understood that Mac's are more reliable, less prone to bugs, and will last longer. I've been using the same Mac for a decade now. I'm running Ableton with a ton of plugins and other programs. While it does slow down once I start adding a large number of individual tracks and/or effects, the fact that it keeps up as well as it does is pretty incredible given the high level of processing power that music creation requires. I have tough time imagining that a 2007 Windows PC would still be adequate for what I'm doing. Of course, that's not to say that I wouldn't still like to upgrade sometime soon.

Shouldn't affect sound quality at all. If you really think the specs on the computers are similar, maybe you should consider purchasing a PC and then just planning on having to replace it more often down the road, potential still saving you money since the price difference is so extreme.
    Hit me up on Facebook!

Thanks
    macs are pcs. but have a closed Os that is about 1/3rd as secure as linux with no malware protection software installed.
    Even then, keeping a computer out of that territory is simple.

Spec wise you'd be better off with a custombuilt or going the hp/cyberpower/avatar/lenovo/asus route over a mac if you are interested in that stuff.
    If not and you barely give a crap about computers you'll love macs.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KonKossKang View Post
    If not and you barely give a crap about computers you'll love macs.
    Somehow I knew the the next post on this thread would be exactly this, haha
    Hit me up on Facebook!

Thanks
    switching over to a Macbook Pro solved all of my CPU usage problems that I had using Studio One 3 on a Desktop PC.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by instinct252 View Post
    Hey,

I don't mean to regurgitate the age old Mac vs PC debate, but I'm buying a whole new set up, including the computer. I know little about the Mac, but everyone in the industry seems to use one - So is there a reason? Is the sound quality better in any way?

I want an i5, 8gb computer to run the latest version of Reason. A Mac for this I can get for 800... whereas the same spec for a PC is just 350.. Surely its the spec that matters for music production - What benefit is there in getting a Mac that I won't get with a PC

Better sound quality in any way?

Any advice regards this would be great.

Cheers

After reading this post fully I would like to inform you that even amd's lineup passed up most i7s years ago.
    Also, after trying a few dozen daws over the years I'd like to point out that most daws to not actually use that much cpu to begin with.

In collabs I've recently decided to run studio one/ableton & fl studio in rewire mode simultaneously and keep that setup out of my main productions for consistency and file organization.
    I have also come across statements from many other users that state mac had the upper hand in audio production because windows didn't have it's own low latency solution until asio came into the picture and that they normally use coreaudio drivers.
    Last edited by KonKossKang; 03-23-2017 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks
    I have a lot of 3rd party plugins that are CPU heavy; Omnisphere, Waves and the Output plugins are some that require the most CPU. On a Desktop PC it would take minutes to open the Output Substance in Kontakt for example. Or Omnisphere would crack and clip, just as Waves Codex. I could only use a limited amount of 3rd party mixing plugins before it started to bog down and even crash SO3.

I had a Mac for a while and I avoided switching all my music over because I'm wasn't a fan of the OS. But after an accident with my Desktop I was forced to switch to the Mac and all of the issues stopped. Well I'll at least say that I can use A LOT more resources. It will still bog down but it can handle a lot more than the Desktop PC
    Last edited by alienaircraftmusic; 03-23-2017 at 03:54 PM.

Thanks
    Well, I do not own a mac so I can not attest this statement on your end.

Even If I unplug an interface and use asio4all I still get very good results cpu wise on my end but this is probably becuase I am more in tune with windows and linux as a platform for my plugins, since this is what I've been on for years and years and years.

Results may vary for many individuals who do not share the same setup and will be researched further for accuracy.

Thanks
    A pc can be customized more then a mac. PC parts with same quality are way cheaper. I don't like apple and it's OS. Not since the start of it. I live in europe and things for apple only blew up somewhere half way through 2000. I used to build computers and troubleshoot for the fun of it. Couldn't really do that in the same extent as apple computers.
    If you like apple and it's os and don't mind paying, you can go with apple.
    If payment is an issue, you're not set on OSX, you might as well go for a pc. If you're not really into building it and all, get some good store guarantees. Research which shops offer the best services. Basically, you can get them to build a kick ass machine, guarantee a working pc, have them do the support for a few years.
    There's no difference in terms of stability and reliability between macs and pcs anymore. It's just that there's millions and millions of different configs possible with pcs and not with apple. Some ppl fuck up the configs, choose some crappy piece of hardware that doesn't work well with component X, etc.

Thanks
    Anything you can do on a MAC, you can do on PC as well. Not to mention that you can run Windows on a MAC and you can run OSX on a PC.

Thread Information