Difference between reference headphones: AKG K-712 Pro and AKG K-812?

sameey

Well. Theres about a 1200 USD price difference. I am just what the differences actually are between these two headphones, and if they are worth the price difference. Has anyone tried them to give an input with first hand experience?

These are to go along with a Focusrite Scarlette 2i4 sound card.

Cheers!

Normally I would recommend to order both and try them for yourself. Then keep the one you like better.

However, I don't see why you should invest $1000+ in a pair of headphones. As with everything, when you pass a certain threshold, you pay exponentially more for a relatively tiny increase in quality.

The professional studio owners I know use headphones in the $200-$350 range. With the K-712 you're already in the pro league.

If you want to try different models (which I recommend), also take the Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro, the Sennheiser HD-650 and the Focal Spirit Professional into consideration.

Oh...and I almost forgot...if you want to use your headphones for recording, you have to chose closed headphones.

Last edited:
Really appreciate the well explained answer! After taking what you wrote into consideration, I think I will go for the Beyerdynamic DT-880 pro. It also seems to have gotten great reviews, almost flawless relative to its price.

Thanks again mate.

Back