Would this make a good music production computer?

It's a good start. A SSD or FlashDrive should be in consideration when looking for a computer for production, but you can always upgrade your Dell by manually installing an SDD/Flashdrive :)

Last edited:
That's a great computer if that thing's clocked above 1.8 ghz.
Avoid anything older than an a4 processor or a straight up pentium.[not the g203 pentiums those are decent]
Even the core 2 duos are enough at the right speed.

As long as the CPU clock speed is good and you have at least 4 gigs of RAM I don't think you're gonna have any problems production-wise (even with large projects)
:)

Clock speed and number of cores aint shit if you copare Intel and AMD when it comes to audio. A 4 core Intel on 3.5 Ghz can blow away an AMD 8-Core with 4 Ghz in audio applications. Never buy AMD CPU's for audio!

Clock speed and number of cores aint shit if you copare Intel and AMD when it comes to audio. A 4 core Intel on 3.5 Ghz can blow away an AMD 8-Core with 4 Ghz in audio applications. Never buy AMD CPU's for audio!

6EbdY4P.png

^^^ My DAW right now. Just upgraded from a Pentium D 950 which I've been using for quite a while. I don't see a need to upgrade for quite a while with this one.

Aside from that, you can't quantify anything you've said here. Please, point to some benchmarks or something.

consider a second hand dell t5400 - you can upgrade the ram to 8 or 16gb for about $100 it's a quadcore xeon processor I'm running win 7 pro and it works a treat

Back