What Mixer?

avayl

Hey Guys,
I am new to this forum, i tried checking a few threads to maybe find what i wanna know, but i cant be bothered any longer.
So here is my question:
I am looking for a new mixer, my Behringer Xenyx Q802 USB sucks and doesnt really allow me to record while listening to anything on abelton, so there is no point for me.
Here is what i am looking for, i got 2 analogue synths and a mpc 2000 i really just wanna plug them into a mixer with somewhat more channels then 3 and record it onto my computer.
I prefer good sound over too many channels.
I dont really know what i am willing to spend but lets say max. 450$, do you got an idea what interface could fit my needs?
Thank you in advance :)

Audio interface or mixer? You're talking about both.

Interfaces in this price range worth looking at would include: Focusrite's Saffire/Scarlett series, Steinberg's UR series, MOTU's Audio Express, Roland's Capture series. Maybe a few others (and if 2nd hand is ok, I guess it'd open up some possibilities as well).

Now that i´ve been looking through your suggestions (i have no idea what i am talking about here btw.) i think that an audio interface is what i am searching for. What do i need a mixer for? To have physical knobs to control my channles?
Second hand would be totally ok for me, you got a suggestion?
May

You'll need an audio interface anyway to get your synths & MPC on separate channels in Ableton (without having record them in separate passes) - most interfaces have knobs for gain control (not quite as immediate as pushing faders on a mixer, but then again you shouldn't need to be adjusting all the time). The Behringer unit is basically a mixer with a simple 2-channel audio interface built in.

Dunno what's available in your are in the 2nd hand market - not sure if there's anything markedly better than what you can get new for the money.

Spot on advice from krushing. From your budget, a couple more recommendations.

iconnect audio 4 + - 4 in, 4 out, many other options for midi, ios, os x and windows connectivity, check out the specs, about $300
MOTU 4pre - motu has a rep as an established pro audio company, Also 4 in, 4 out with another channel of s/pdif.About $450.

What they both have in common is rather than being a mixer with an audio interface, they are audio interfaces with onboard digital mixers. Without getting too deep into details, you get more for your money as well as the ability to use it as a mixer without a computer.

Last edited:
Mixers belong back in the 90's when we were forced to use them shits to "mix" instruments to a single channel/track on account of our low track counts, these days you can record everything to it's own channel/track with a multiple input/output audio interface......the outputs are cool too because you can wire in hardware effects.......so yeah forget the mixer and get an audio interface and if you run out of ins and outs get a patch bay.....and yeah in my opinion it's better to have a decent channel strip or two in a project studio than cheap shit mixer with lots of cheap shit channels, the only reason they really still sell mixers is because they are still used at live gigs to mix.

Back