What Interface(s) Are You Using?

This may be a dumb question but does having an interface have (a noticeable) difference in sound quality?

I got a simple 2i2 that goes down to 6ms when processor is set to 1.6ghz and down to 2-3ms at 2-4ghz.
Also, an interface does sound better than built in sound cards. But it's getting to a point where desktops/laptops soundcards have been decent.

This may be a dumb question but does having an interface have (a noticeable) difference in sound quality?

It's not a dumb question at all...but basically it goes like this:

*If you're recording external sources - microphones & line-level instruments (like synthesizers), then the interface's mic preamps and analog to digital converters will have an effect on the quality.

*If you're using just software instruments and plugins, the interface doesn't directly affect the quality at all. Also, rendering files out of your DAW is purely a process done by the computer, the interface doesn't do anything there. What you're listening will still go through the digital to analog converters of the interface, and that's going to have the indirect effect on the quality in the sense that your mixing decisions will be based on what you can hear.

That said, even the most basic interfaces have fairly decent converters these days, so there's not gonna be a "night and day" kind of difference in any case. When you upgrade everything - the interface, the monitors, the room acoustics & possibly your recording chain - then there are going to be big, noticeable differences.

The thing is a good external sound card wont sound better than a built in soundcard but will sound more accurate and precise . You will have that neutral flat sound that will help you take better decision while mixing . Your built in sound card isnt design for mixing but for listening music only . Its good tough to mix with your external soundcard and test it on your built in soundcard see how its relate on it since most poeple will listen to your music with their built in computer sound card .

Last edited:
I'm saving for an upgrade on my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 at the moment.
Wanting more i/o so I can use a few older bits I have stored (compressor, fx units) and have my turntable, bass guitar and a couple of mics (1 for acoustic guitar and percussion, 1 for vox) permanently plugged in and ready to go.
But also hoping for a more solid ASIO driver than the Scarlett...

I had been looking at the Steinberg UR44 but find myself really interested in the Roland Octa Capture (or Studio Capture if I can hold out a few more months (an extra 200 quid) of further saving).

What I am struggling to find is a direct comparison of the Roland preamps against any other brands...
Comparisons between Scarlett, Presonus, Steinberg, RME (out of my price range) MOTU etc are ten'a'penny... But all you hear about the Roland Pre's it that "they're good".

What I am struggling to find is a direct comparison of the Roland preamps against any other brands...
Comparisons between Scarlett, Presonus, Steinberg, RME (out of my price range) MOTU etc are ten'a'penny... But all you hear about the Roland Pre's it that "they're good".

I havent' heard the Roland pres. But I've heard a bunch of world-class pres...and frankly, the differences, even on amazing monitors, are really subtle. The differences between low-end interface mic pres are gonna be even more...even, up to the point that I'm not sure it matters at all. A new mic will make much more of a difference. Hell, moving your old mic around a few centimeters will change the sound more than the preamps will.

I havent' heard the Roland pres. But I've heard a bunch of world-class pres...and frankly, the differences, even on amazing monitors, are really subtle. The differences between low-end interface mic pres are gonna be even more...even, up to the point that I'm not sure it matters at all. A new mic will make much more of a difference. Hell, moving your old mic around a few centimeters will change the sound more than the preamps will.

This takes the fear out of the decision making process. Thank you!
Just gotta decide whether to save £350 for the Octa Capture or £550 for the larger Studio Capture then...

Alesis M1Active 320 USB Interface/Monitors
m1active320_front_lg.jpg

m1active320_back_lg.jpg

Last edited:
I've got the Akai EIE Pro. I would NOT recommend it to anyone. The drivers are totally horrible. It works, yes. But it'll crackle if you change the amplitude.
Since Win10, I also had duplicate the buffer (to avoid crackling/underruns) so there is a delay now while using ASIO peripherals. :(

Thats sucks man. Thanks for letting everyone know whats up though. I'm in the market now and so far I hear alot about that 2i2 but I also want to record some live guitar, and for that I heard the 2i2 clips or delays or theres some little issue with it. I was interested in that Akai but I did hear about that issuse so I decided to stay away from itt. The Mackie one looks nice but I'm not sure if its any good. If I wasn't doing any guitar I'd probably just want the scarlet 2i2 but since I'm doing some guitar I gotta find something else I think, although it might be okay for guitar. At the moment I'm tossed up between that Mackie and the 2i2.

I presently use a 2i2 and a 18i20 - sound quality is the same between the two units; obviously channel count and features differ between them. Great values.

Today, I just received a UA Apollo duo that was on sale - it is thunderbolt, not USB or FW. Similar features and channel count to the 18i20, but much better sound quality and built-in DSP processing. Can't wait to get it all set up.

Back