What if my PC dies?

Coleman1

Coleman1
If my PC dies, like literally is unable to turn back on again and I have all my songs on here, what can I do to have them saved elsewhere? Can I put them on a USB or something? I don't want to make all these songs just to possibly lose them all one day. Help :(

This is a bad scenario on premade company machines that have soldered parts.
This is never issue on custombuilt/or from company that lets you edit the computer.
external harddrive for backing up.
replacing motherboard possible on said machines.
onedrive is pretty fast for backups, even with 6mbps down 1 mbps up.
in all cases, just backup. 1gb is about a 2 minute transfer.

ignore some of what was said above: unless the drive is hard soldered to the mobo you have no issues really; even if it si soldered to the mobo, a good tech can do the following for you - this is entirely recoverable

take the existing drive out,

connect it to one of those eternal drive caddies (or the 2nd internal drive spot in some machines) connect the caddy to a pc with similar specs

power up the pc and enter safe mode (you may need to press a key or two during bootup to do this)

once in safe mode go to mange this computer

click on the hard drive and select properties

change ownership to the root admin account

you can now access any files on the drive in normal mode and safe mode

you should never try to take files relating to specific programs off the old drive and add to your new drive as the corresponding registry entries will not exist an the program will in all likelihood fail to load let alone

Last edited:
As a precaution to ever reaching that point, you could try using cloud storage like dropbox or the like.

Convenient thing is (depending on the app) you can have the folder that you save your track data / songs in automatically sync online. Takes a little of the worry off if your computer ever decides to be permanently cranky one day.

I always worry about "free" cloud services: if the business that runs it goes bankrupt or is otherwise compromised you lose everything you had stored.

The most ironic thing about computing is that we have gone from the "central processor/storage-distributed workstation" model to "independent workstations with central storage" model to "independent workstations with local storage" model back to "independent workstations with central storage" model back "local processor-distributed workstation with central storage" model, i.e. we have almost swung full circle in how we manage our computing

thin clients (machines that can process but pull their apps from the central service) were all the rage in 80's and 90's as a method of providing access to newer technologies (I remember using several mac apps using this model - 4mb of Ram and enough storage for the os and scratch files (temp files)). We have now come full circle back to powerful machines that use the same model for processing our needs

Back