Tascam FW-1082 Help please

TalksickRecords

Just grabbed a FW-1082, however it was second hand so i am unsure what Firewire cable i need for it, i looked and their are so many, and i have zero experience with firewire.

And i dont know what firewire card to get for my desktop,

I used CPUID to get my specs, which bit do you need to be able to help me?

again apologies if i'm being daft, but i've always used USB.

Did you try looking for a manual or any of the accompanying documentation?

GJ

I appreciate the help, but that manual doesn't know what PC i have, so i'm guessing it won't know which type of Firewire card i need, i know what specs i need, but not what type will fit in my pc.

Generally, you'd start with the basics, but I'll tap-out at this point, so someone more knowledgeable can lend a hand.

GJ

Here's a pretty nice article for figuring out which kind of FW card will fit. FW audio interfaces have sometimes been notoriously picky about the actual make & model of the FW chip on the card (Texas Instruments generally tends to work well), but as for the type of bus you're using to hook it up to your PC doesn't really matter much. The cable that fits the Tascam is the most common type, which is a 6-pin FW400 connector.

What might be a more serious problem is that the FW-1082 has been discontinued ages ago and there's no driver support for any recent OS versions. I suppose that you've checked that it works on your system - and of course there's a chance that it'll work even if it's not officially supported, but just something to take into account...

Yes, the manual said only Windows 2000 or Windows XP; not sure about Mac. (It's all there, btw).

GJ

Last edited:
Back