Stay with a MacBook Pro or build a new Windows PC

Paul Liquorish

Music Producer
Like the subject says,
Should I stay with my 2014 MacBook Pro (Laptop) or build a new dedicated to music production PC?

I have a large 16 Channel audio interface so the portable option doesn't matter here, although I do like to sit in the lounge room in front of the TV with no midi controllers and make up some ideas or full songs.

With the MacBook Pro I am limited to 2 USB ports and have 5 midi controllers (cheap USB hub that causes "too much power" issue)
Damn first world problems.

Yeah forget that under powered inside out mess and get a tower system full of hard drives. Craptops are less than ideal for serious music production because once you add an audio interface, MIDI controllers, hard drives and monitors the whole idea of portability goes right out the window and what you are left with is a mess of shit hanging off wires that use a protocol (USB) which unnecessarily taxes whatever lame CPU they put in there to not overheat while conserving battery power. Laptops with their keyboard/computer/screen arrangement are desk hogs in comparison to tower systems which are usually tucked out of the way, I don't have my QWERTY keyboard taking up room on the desk, it sits in a draw and my two screens don't take up much room at all, in fact I have a MIDI controllers in front of them which is where the keyboard/body of a laptop would normally be taking up desk space.

As for the popularity of Macs a lot of that has to do with the halo effect, you know people assuming that their crappy all-in-Mac is somehow like what the pro's use, not realizing that the pro's have been running powerful Pro Tools DSP hardware that does all the heavy lifting for Macs which were in fact less powerful than PCs when it came to native processing (where the computer does all the work) like running Cubase or Logic for example.

Back