Samsung SSD Portable vs Internal

Jortiz7

I am thinking about purchasing a IMac and then replacing the hard drive with an internal Samsung SSD drive. I was also going to purchase a back up external hard drive. I recently saw that Samsung now released an external SSD drive. What are the pro's and cons of using a internal vs portable ssd drive ? also if I do purchase the portable external ssd drive is it still recommended to have another external back up hard drive ?

It's always a good idea to use more than one drive. One can store the OS, DAW and VSTs, while to the other(s) you can put your sample libraries and record and save your projects. Can the iMac take only one internal drive? If yes, it's a good idea to have external SSD(s). But I wouldn't use them for backup. From the price of a 1TB SSD you can easily buy 5-6 HDDs and the more backup copies you have on different drives, the better. Of course the external SSD would be much faster, but also it's much more expensive

So, if you'd buy it only for backup purposes then maybe you should get HDDs and spend the price difference on a bigger project SSD or something else.

Did a Full reinstall a while ago, anything not in the default folders will be deleted and anything that is will be added to windows.old regardless of whether choosing refresh or reset, which surprised me. Anything not in windows default folders will be gone gone.

Partitions won't be affected unless specified. Extra harddrives are not necessary but as the guy above says, really...really useful.
Using an 80gb ssd for booting and two 2TB 72oorpm harddrives would be a suggestion from me.

Last edited:
Back