Roland Preamps vs other preamps & interfaces with more I/O (?)

I'mNoGuru

I grew up with Tascam/Yamaha 4-Tracks, then on to an Akai DPS12 with a brief flirtation with the 1st gen Focusrite Saffire before having a fairly lengthy hiatus.

Got out back into making music about 3ish years ago with a totally different mindset and very different tastes than before.

Been using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.
Would like more ins & outs (I still have a few bits Of gear from way back I'd like to use again) and after looking at the Steinberg UR44 for a while was pretty set on that...

I've been looking reviews and comparisons...

The Roland OctaCapture & StudioCapture keep coming up (as do the larger Focusrite Scarlett's) but there's no real talk on the quality of the pres (or converters!!) in comparison to either the Steinberg or Scarlett interfaces (who's preamps are 'generally' considered to be on par)

I'm hopefully looking at buying just after Christmas, so have a while to go.
things that will be plugged in include:

turntable (I sample a lot - obvs needs 2 inputs)
Vocal mic (se2200)
SM58 (I use it on percussion a fair bit - a bit dark but I like that)
Bass guitar (often through Line6 POD)
Acoustic guitar (have a crappy superlux ribbon mic - sucks on vocals but the way I play guitar (badly) it sounds pretty good)
Yamaha Reface CP (don't own it yet but top of my Xmas list from wife and fam - will need 2 inputs)

I'd like to unplug/re-plug as little as possible.
Also have a stereo compressor an old Yamaha sampler (which may be unusable) and a couple cheap sound modules/fx (Alesis) which I'd like to incorporate if poss.

Would any of you actively avoid the Roland interfaces because of experience with their preamps?

What at about the converters?

There's DSP in bothe the Roland and Steinberg interfaces.
The Rolands have AutoSens which looks like a massive time-saver.

Also considered the MOTU UltraLite MK3 - but this would probably require me to pick up some separate channel strips/ pres as there's only 2 preamps (lots of line ins though!!)

Should I consider anything else?

Last edited:
Back