Recommendations for a portable DAW (laptop-based) running Cubase (5 for now)

Juan Doe

I'm just giving a shout-out to everyone, considering I'm new here. I don't know if there's a "Introductions" sub-forum (it didn't look like it), so "hi" I guess! :p

I need help with the following however:

I'd like your 2 cents when it comes to a portable DAW running Cubase 5 (for now, but I might consider upgrading sometime soon if I feel the need to). By portable, I mean it should be laptop-based. I'm open to the possibility of going Mac, but I need to be looking at prices first and foremost. I'm considering sticking with a laptop running Windows for now however, considering I do things OTHER than music production (part-time, work-related stuff for income) and need to keep this in mind (the fact that a laptop running Windows might be better suited towards this than a Macbook running OS X). I also might want to play the odd game or 2, so I think that should also have to be kept in mind (I hope this won't clash with its use for sound however).

Regarding what I'll be doing, for starters, I'll mainly just be recording, editing and mixing guitars for the time being (hobbyist). IDEALLY, I'd like for this system to be quite FLEXIBLE however (in case I need to do work (whether paid or unpaid) of various kinds; basically anything 'sound', portable and non-portable). So I should be able to expand upon the "only being used for guitar recordings for now", possibly in the near future.

I know there are couple of threads that have dealt with this question in the past, but I'm not always sure they're concurrent with the latest technology that is out there at the time of this writing.

Any advice perhaps? Or articles? Recommendations?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!

Are you wanting a recommendation for a laptop or a DAW? I'm confused by your post.

To be more specific!

Sorry, mad bad!

Basically you could say I'm looking for an entry-level audio production PC, that I can still use for work and games, running Windows! :)

To be more specific, a laptop running Cubase 5 (DAW) for now (I might considering upgrading to 8 in the future). I want brand recommendations (i.e., it could be pre-configured laptops from any commercially available brands). Otherwise, spec specific stats, such as CPU, RAM, HDD and different connection types (USB, Firewire etc.) I should look out for. Also, I'd appreciate a bigger screen (better for audio production, especially editing), preferably being able to display 1080p (for the odd game or 2 I might play), and it should have a pretty decent GPU as well (once again, for the odd game or 2 I might play). Also, I REALLY want a numpad (I use it all the time), and it should be Windows based (considering most of the apps I run, are Windows-friendly). I'm not sure if a BR drive is necessary however. And it should be able to output to a projector (this is for freelancing work I'm doing at the moment, which is NOT audio production based WHATSOEVER).

I'm also not too cued up on how well Macs run Windows (and Windows applications) when using virtualization programs such as Boot Camp (lots of people in the past have told me to go Mac, e.g. Macbook Pro). I also know there are other third-party software doing the same, but I'm not too sure about their performance either. Is it worth a try perhaps? The thing is, I'll mostly be running Windows and Windows-based applications. The 'audio production' thing is on the sideline, but I still want to cater for it at least.

I hope this makes more sense!

Last edited:
Back