Real Fender Rhodes piano or software version?

F

Frozen Sounds

I just love the sound of the Fender Rhodes, and was wondering if it is worth it to buy the actual piano, or are there software synths that can replicate it's sound accurately?

I have the chance to pick up a Mark II 73 Stage Piano, but I'm not sure if my money would be better spent elsewhere.

Does anyone have an actual Fender Rhodes piano and uses it in their tracks?

I don't have a real one, but a friend of mine had one and we used to jam around on it. They're cool, but honestly not worth the trouble unless you are a really picky player. And I mean a player, not just a producer/composer who uses keyboard sounds.
Besides the fact that most of them are in sorry shape (they haven't been manufactured in almost 20 years), they're big, heavy, and require lots of outboard fx (including a mic'd amp) to get that classic rhodes sound.
The rhodes sound is one of the most emulated keyboard sounds ever after the acoustic piano and the hammond organ. There are some pretty realistic simulations out there. The only thing that has never been simulated to my satisfaction is the unique feel of the rhodes keyboard. While they are all different, they generally have an odd, clunky action. Sounds bad, but it actually helps you play in the idiom.
So unless you are a keyboard "player" who wants exactly the right sound, I'd stick with a synth or plugin. There's even a free vsti (mda epiano) that's pretty good sounding. Just stay away from those dx7 rhodes simulations (the really synthetic, glassy sounding ones). Good gawd I hate those.
Peace,
LC

I think real Rhodes sound great. But theyre not THAT much better to warrant the bulk issues and the maintenance stuff.

If you wanna spend money on a sound module for those sounds get aKurzweil Micro Ensemble, it's got all the sounds from the PC2 which we all know has the best rhodes and wurlysounds.

As far as software plugins go, Herbie Hancock uses an iMac with Emagic EVP88 and a controller keyboard.

He made the Rhodes famous, so you decide.

The Emagic EVP88 can do the trick,i totally agree.
If you are pc based,check Lounge lizard.Wicked E-paino sounds.

i was just going to reply and say that i cant believe noones mentioned Lounge Lizard By AAS (from montreal canada!)
now that its 2015 - are there any other vst versions that anyone cares to add to this?

Last edited:
Back