Questions about expanding computer memory

I already have an external hard drive ("My Book Studio Edition II" By Western Digital) but it doesn't really give me more memory to use, only to store files. If I want to want to access something on it I have to copy the file from my external hard drive to my Macbook Pro's hard drive. The whole reason I bought this external was so that I would have more space for Plugins & Music Software but it can't even do that.

You want to expand your ram - go talk to an Apple genius to find the best solution for you.

Wait, why would you have to copy the files to your main HD to access them? What's stopping you from accessing them directly from the external?

The Western Digital's are a bit flaky in that they use the Green Caviar drives which are designed to shut down after five minutes of non-use. This, of course plays havoc with any software that is looking to update file contents, waiting for the drive to spin up again and then find the file in question - this has been my experience on the PC and I am fairly certain the same is true for macs.

Last edited:
Well, I have 3 WD drives (one on FW800, two on USB2) sitting on my disk and none are really giving me any problems - sure, there can be a second or two of "spin-up" time occasionally but nothing that would actually prevent me from using them directly.

I've never used the Caviar Greens but there might be a way to change the spin-down/idle time. I remember using a tool that came with Nero Burning ROM that could set the spin-down/idle time for CD-ROM drives and it did the same for hard drives. Unfortunately the software is really old now and I don't recommend it on any modern software or hardware. But my point is that there may be a freeware utility out there on the internet that could be used to adjust this kind of thing.

Back