Purchased an MBox 2, won't let me install Pro Tools 7 LE, says I need Windows XP..

I don't use protools, but what is Protools 7 LE compatible with? The Mbox can be used with any software. I have an Mbox pro but I use fruity loops to record.

So you're saying the hardware works with any DAW?

I was under the impression it only worked in conjunction with Pro Tools.

yes, my Mbox pro works with anything. You just have to select it in the audio settings. I'm not 100% for the Mbox 2, but it should appear as "Mbox 2" n the audio settings. Every DAW is different but in FL, you have to link the Mbox in the audio settings AND the mixer. Then it's a simple click of the microphone button and anything played through the mbox will record, whether it's say a microphone or an electric guitar/violin.

Last edited:
If he's talking about an audio interface, those work with anything [If he's talking about a dedicated usb/firewire/thunerbolt interface with it's own asio driver]

pro tools is just like the industry standard for recording...

After reading on these forums, everyone kind of says that Pro Tools is the standard....but any DAW can record through an audio interface.

Last edited:
So you're saying the hardware works with any DAW?

I was under the impression it only worked in conjunction with Pro Tools.

You can use the Mbox2 with other daw. Before the Mbox 3 ( I think?) was released many years ago, the Mbox is designed specfically for Pro Tools, but alot has changed throughout the years. I think when Pro Tools 9 was released, they've made other interface available so anyone can pick their own audio interface to work within Pro Tools, but before then you'd need an Mbox to run Pro Tools. If that make any sense.

I hear industry standard. But not the technical details so I don't bother with various opinions unless I see actual information like what programming language was used for the creation and how the plugins were coded.

From what I've tried [most daws] they all ran fine.
Granted some of those I only tried the light version of like protools first & cubase AI, ableton yellow etc.

You can use the Mbox2 with other daw. Before the Mbox 3 ( I think?) was released many years ago, the Mbox is designed specfically for Pro Tools, but alot has changed throughout the years. I think when Pro Tools 9 was released, they've made other interface available so anyone can pick their own audio interface to work within Pro Tools, but before then you'd need an Mbox to run Pro Tools. If that make any sense.

That's interesting because the guys at Guitar Center said my Mbox pro is discontinued so it must be an old audio interface, but it still works. I use it FL 11 and it works fine. I've recorded electric violin, bass guitar, and electric guitar with it in FL studio with no problem.

So ya, to the Original poster, the Mbox 2 should work with any DAW. Find one that best fits your needs as a producer.

Last edited:
"Designed specifically for Pro Tools" basically just meant that they had a pretty expensive dongle for running the software - as said, the software wouldn't run without a Digidesign-approved (now Avid) audio interface (which basically meant those by Digidesign themselves) present, pre-PT9. This was good for combating piracy, but pretty much sucked for everyone else, because it was either the MBoxes or the expensive HD systems.

But yeah, that's not really important anymore. As said, it's never been the other way around - the interfaces have always worked with other DAWs. Which basically means that while the MBoxes are ok-ish as far as entry-level interfaces go, they were never anything special...they just sort of gained a bit of a magical aura when they were needed to run PT.

The last version of PTLE7 only supports XP & Vista. I doubt anyone wants to go back that far anymore.

Back