Poll: Apogee duet 2 vs mbox 3

Which one is the better audio interface disregarding OS system?

• Total voters

Yayo_Beatz

Yayo Tha Kid Robot
WHICH ONE DO YOU THINK HAS BETTER OVERALL QUALITY AND OND OVERALL BETTER I KNOW THE MBOX HAS BEEN AN INDUSTRRY STANDARD BUT THE APOGGE DUET WAS A HIT BUT THIS APOGEE DUET SOUNDS LIKE IT WILL BLOW THE COMPETION AWAY!!!

what are yall input and which one do you all recommend

Both are nice. What interface do you have now?

Apogee looks better; but the Mbox is the better value. According to one of the Avid guys on Gearslutz the Mbox 3 has the same converter chipset as the original Duet, and the preamps I believe are from the 003. Not to mention the Mbox is expandable via spdif which is nice if you anticipate recording more sources in the future.

Do you want to use Pro Tools? If so the Mbox is a good place to start.
What kind of Mac do you have?
How many sources do you plan on recording at once?
Do you have Firewire?

If you have firewire I would skip both of them.

yo so I'm looking to start doing some pro level audio recording onto my laptop. maybe i could get a quick response here

I've got a macbook pro 1,1. 2 ghz intel core duo, with 2 ghz memory. It's maxed out but i don't have the moolah for a new shiny 64 bit

I've got a nice sturdy condensor mic, don't think it's powered, but i'm not sure. I should check that out. Not the point.

I'm lookin at getting an mbox3 and wanna know if it's the best choice right now. I have protools experience and would like to stick to working in protools. Though I do hear good things about logic.

Basically I want a setup that I can record a couple tracks (at least) simultaneously. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

peace

You can use Pro Tools or Logic with any audio interface. The new Mbox 3 I think is a great value for the money. I'm getting an Mbox Mini 3 soon. Apogee is nice, but the Duet 2 is overpriced for what it is.

I can't personally speak for the Duet, but I own the Mbox 3(regular, not mini or pro) and I have to say it blew me away. The converters and preamps inside this thing are top notch. I think people are stuck on judging this Mbox3 with the previous versions which were kinda well...meh. The Mbox3 was my first experience with getting into protools and let me just say that it's true when people say it has it's own sound. The quality of the tracks when I export them and bounce to disk sound like the stuff you hear on the radio. You can't go wrong with either interface though, it's just preference.

Back