Onyx Blackjack 2x2 vs Scarlett 2i2

ronburgundy

Hi, I am looking into buying an interface for recording voice for my Youtube channel, as well as for recording for my music. I have decided I want either of these 2 interfaces, but I have some questions after reading some things online.

The Blackjack has built-in DIs. I read on a website that you would want the DIs if you were recording guitar/bass and keyboards, and if you don't have them it could damage your interface. I read that a DI will convert a high-impedance signal into a low-impedance one, but I'm only really familiar with impedance from researching headphones. Why does it matter that you have a DI for recording guitar, bass, and keyboards, and not microphones?

Also does anyone have any recommendations in general about which one to buy/or other interfaces?

Thanks

Why a DI for guitar/bass? Instruments like guitar and bass don't put out enough signal, so plugging them direct into an interface (or PA) you'll be underwhelmed because their signal will be super weak - like, barely audible. A DI box simply boosts the signal! (it also helps get rid of pesky interference)

Doing a little googling you'll see the two you mentioned are frequently cited as two of the best audio interfaces. I would go with the 2nd edition of the Scarlett 2i2 - with emphasis on 2nd edition! On that one, they improved the instrument inputs, so the Mackie Onyx Blackjack no longer has the clear advantage. Go to the Focusrite website and read up on the Instrument Input.

This is an old thread, but...both the Blackjack & the Scarlett have combo jacks that are switchable for "instrument input" - which essentially is a DI option.

But no, you won't damage your interface by plugging in a guitar even if it doesn't have instrument inputs. You'll just get a weak signal, as said.

Back