Old gen Macbook better than new Macbook (ableton)

The Burglar

I bought a new 2016 macbook the one with the touch bar and usb c only ports. After transferring all of my vst's and ableton I'm getting a lot of problems. Pops and clicks, Midi stuck notes on certain vst's. Ableton Live keeps quitting unexpectedly. It's making me want to rip my hair out and smash my screen. I know the new mac is faster than my old 2012 one but damn it seems like the only DAW that runs decent on it is logic pro x. Trust me I have tried every possible setting in audio preferences. Any words on advice. Could it be driver issues are not up to date with the new osx? My old mac runs everthing perfect just slow as heck.

So latest OS update (10.12.5) & latest Live version (9.7.3)? OS updates often end up breaking some stuff, but at least for me everything's working fine (although I'm currently on a 2014 MBP & even older Mac Mini - both run Live just fine).

Yes latest update. Ableton updates automatically. After messing with it I found out when I unplug all of the usb on the hubs (midi controller, interface, external hdd, mouse) Im getting better cpu performance just running on built in output. Could be a usb 3.0 issue because when I have my interface plugged in with my other usb devices the interface kicks on and off. Im gonna mess with it some more

Last edited:
Yes latest update. Ableton updates automatically. After messing with it I found out when I unplug all of the usb on the hubs (midi controller, interface, external hdd, mouse) Im getting better cpu performance just running on built in output. Could be a usb 3.0 issue because when I have my interface plugged in with my other usb devices the interface kicks on and off. Im gonna mess with it some more

Um, are you the same guy as The Burglar?

Anyway, what kind of USB hub are you using? It might make all the difference in a mission-critical application like, well, plugging your interface in it. Of course it's not something you can avoid with the Macbook, but all the better a reason to get a nice active hub.

Back