is my laptop suitable enough for my music? (here are the specs)

Its a dell inspiron 3000 series I3541 2000blk.... Amd 1.8 ghz quad core. 4gb ram. 500 gb hd. (I will be upgrading to 8gb on monday) thanks

what i use it for is my mpc studio and then cubase for recording vocals. Basically everything.

Your comp will have problems on the bigger programs or if you stack multiple freeware synths together unless you make a habit out of bouncing. While bouncing audio prevents lag, it's at the cost of HDD space unless you use flac.

Will the problems be due to the processor speed? Do i need an i7 and faster processor? Also is a laptop as reliable as a home cpu. Should i be going with a home cpu instead

Last edited:
it is as much about ram as processor speed

also do not concern yourself with wav/aiff vs flac go with what you know - hdd space is only of concern if you leave all your audio files on your drive forever - get into the habit of burning old projects to as complete folder structures to DVD or CD (or bluray if you have one of those) when they have been finished with

I wouldnt add ram and would get a better laptop/home computer instead . Stay away from amd cpu for music , they are only good for gaming purpose imo . Get an i5 or better and you should be fine . You can use your laptop for music for now but you will see when you will try to upload big vst such as kontakt and get in the mixing process that your laptop cpu will peak to 100% and hear strange noise while making a beat . Learn about freezing track that also will help your current laptop make bigger track. I had the same laptop when i start out and the cpu burn from the inside cause i was asking him to much . Now i have a big i3 laptop and i5 alienware and didnt have probleme since . I can make beats with over 25 track with effect on it with no probleme but sometime i have to freeze track on the laptop when my project get to big (when i use kontakt 5 and any ni vst mostly).

Hope it help

Last edited:
SMH...

I've been on this board for 11 years... And in that time I've seen this question posed quite often and I'm going to give you the same answer I've given quite often on here:

Your laptop is fine. I'm using even less of a laptop for music, an Inspiron 1121 w/1.2GHZ intel i3-330um, a processor that was new back in 2010 and even then it was considered slow, and 8GB ram. My desktop DAW (which I would normally be using were it not down with a bad PSU) is even older and far slower: a custom built PC with a Pentium D 950 and 4GB of RAM.

Get an interface, get a controller, and get to making music.

Last edited:
SMH...

I've been on this board for 11 years... And in that time I've seen this question posed quite often and I'm going to give you the same answer I've given quite often on here:

Your laptop is fine. I'm using even less of a laptop for music, an Inspiron 1121 w/1.2GHZ intel i3-330um, a processor that was new back in 2010 and even then it was considered slow, and 8GB ram. My desktop DAW (which I would normally be using were it not down with a bad PSU) is even older and far slower: a custom built PC with a Pentium D 950 and 4GB of RAM.

Get an interface, get a controller, and get to making music.

Awesome. Thanks.. im not one to use 17 plus tracks in a song and i got a couple go to vsts thats it. Im getting the roland quad capture and midi keyboard controller tomorrow. Im not too crazy on putting effect on my sounds ima bland type of "beat maker" ha maybe some reverb etc but i never tweak instruments i just use the preset as is. I was thinking of getting a home cpu as well and keep my laptop.. i seen an all in one lenovo for 250 thats dual core j1800 2.4 ghz 500gb hd 4gb ram... And maybe just use that as my dedicated vocal recording and leave the laptop up to strictly beats. Or do you think getting a second cpu is a waste and maybe use my money towards "better" equipment or a nice vst or two

Back