My 2011 Macbook Pro Died - Quick Question

adamwbenjamin

Hello all, after a little over 5 years, my MBP mother/logic board died on me. It served me well and will be remembered. I had upgraded the HD to an SSD, and have a SATA cable adapter, so no worries on backing up.

This was my first home studio/semi professional computer, so I wasn't great with organizing files, downloading safe free virus software, etc etc. In short, it was slightly buggy. SO, what I want to do with my new MBP, is hand pick files/plugins to drag over. Is it as simple as that?

For instance, I purchased Addictive Drums and Melodyne plugins... Do I simply copy from the SSD and paste to my new MBP where all the data should be?

1. Copy the stand-alone application to applications.
2. Copy the applications support (audio>plugins>vsts etc etc folders

Any help would be fantastic!

Adam

should be. You'll just have to redirect the DAW on your new MBP to find the folders you bring over from your old MBP. You can do this in the file settings of whatever DAW you're using, and you should be okay. Just get the soundpacks/drumkits you want and direct to them in the File Settings. And do the same for plug-ins, VSTs (a lot depends on the DAW you have, some variances in file settings occur between DAW).

Last edited:
I think it's better to reinstall all your apps rather than trying to copy them over. Some stuff will work just like that, and others may have more complex structures and assorted settings/preferences/support files that need to be in the right places.

Personally I'd recommend getting a new machine in that timeframe.
Especially if it wasn't built by you.

For lappy's I'd say replace every half decade.
For tablets, maybe every 2 years minimum lol.
The cloud's also a good place for backups, as well as extra hdd's.

4Tb you'd be set for years.

Back