Latency causes

fendernez

Hi. I've recently bought a PC, audio interface and sequencing software for home recording. As anticipated, there are latency issues when I line in an instrument. I have turned the buffering down to its minimum level, but have accepted the fact I'll simply have to monitor out of the audio interface and then correct any time lag on the sequencer by moving the wav file around. However my (n00bish) question is - why does a PC in a pro studio have no latency? My PC is high spec, and the buffering's as low as settings will allow, so what's the difference between mine and a pro studio's?

Focusrite Scarlett Solo. The latency is only a small fraction of a second, but definitely enough to make playing along impossible without monitoring straight out of the interface

I know that all too well. Buffer size, even the way you use pads affects it lol.
so either on the lap or standing gets less latency than hovering over a desk pressing the pads you'll feel it much more.

the 2i2's alright, still have one but ur22, prefer it. putting something in a table alittle taller than where you sit while you hover you can feel the latency even more.

I currently do 32ms latency at 512. Whether or not it'll be possible to fully adjust to that amount is yet to be seen.
I can suggest getting used to a latency that is above the comfortable level but not TOO above if you get me. Then workin down.

I’ve had a play and am sure I can’t get rid of the latency, will just have to live with it. It’s not the end of the world. I can monitor straight out of the audio interface. Monitoring out of the audio interface is fine if you can mute the lagging sound, which I can’t seem to do! It’s driving me crazy. The official FL help is no good as I’ve done as instructed and it doesn’t work. You’re meant to deselect the track you’re recording onto form being fed into the master track. That’s fine, I know how to do it, but it doesn’t mute the lagging sound! The only way I can mute it is by muting the master track, which obviously mutes everything else too! Anyone else have this issue? It’s rendering my set-up literally un-usable!!

You're not doing it right.

The 0 latency (well almost) is by auditioning direct out from the audio interface, that is how it's done. Obviously tightening the buffer in the pc will put too much strain on the cpu and not run a full project well, no mater how powerful the computer or pro a studio. When you're doing it right there should be no need to move audio files back and forth or ignore certain lagging sounds, with any direct monitoring interface.

Direct monitoring through the interface is the main reason many come with plugins built in. They enable you to add simple reverbs etc to the auditioning sound with out running through the DAW. You wouldn't record the effect on the audio, it's just to aid the singer. If you're wanting VST's enabled from the DAW on the auditioning audio track, this is when you might get issues.

I will add that Cubase has a feature know as ASIO guard. This enables you to have large buffer setting for your project but then sets tighter ones to any track you arm for recording. It takes care of the timing issues. Initially it will start the track with the latency, you play a long, intime, cubase places the audio in the right place (helps against the above mentioned issue).

The problem you are getting with FL must be because you arn't muting the track you're recording on. Are you hearing what you play then what you play again, quite like a loop? In Cubase if you monitor from the DAW you need to select the monitor button. If you monitor from the audio interface, you simply don not select that option and you won't hear the audio being recorded by the DAW (which will be later due to latency). You don't need to select it as you'll hear what you play through the interface.

You will need to learn how to use the software mixer for your audio interface. Enable the recording input channel to go direct to the outputs and have the DAW out puts running there to.

Edit: My friend uses FL but when ever he wishes to record he comes round to mine to use Cubase.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm hearing the audio twice - once through the interface monitoring, once from the DAW. I need to mute the track I'm recording onto but can't work out how to do it. It's like FL is automatically routing the audio to the master track and I can't work out why. Muting the specific track I have selected to record onto does not work.

Possibly due to how FL works you need to change the software mixer for your interface settings. I have to change mine to do direct monitoring in cubase.

This way not arming the track for monitoring or as I'm guessing in FL (from your words) muting it won't disable the audio. Enabling it you hear it twice, muting it, not at all... is that what happenes??? if so, almost certain it's your software mixer for the interface settings.

Edit: actually from your words I'm guessing muting it, you still hear it twice. This will be due to FL always sending the input audio back out the master bus. Find the setting for that or get cubase.

Last edited:
Correct, if I mute the track, I still hear it twice, and if I mute the master I hear it once, but obviously don't hear the rest of the track. OK thanks - I will have a look into the software mixer settings

Back