is latency bad when recording in ipad or is a intel laptop better or same?

Id like to know is there latency in the ipad when recording. Twice ive bought a laptop pc and its just plain horrid for making music. would the ipad do the job. im just scared it will have crazy latency? please help

I got audio interface and would suggest one as well. they go down to 6ms roundtrip lag[latency]
I still do everything at 32ms lag to get used to it.[512 samples]

Cpu affects this too also. Getting used to a higher buffer then going to a lower buffer will help a lot man.
a 1ghz tablet, even with interface expect 512 as lowest.
2ghz-4ghz cpu recommended[some are fast enough to 64 samples at 1ghz] and a good bit of ram.4gb minimum, 8gb recommended.

yes i know you have to have an audio interface. all i want to know is will the ipad be just as good as an intel laptop. i have my mac at home and set up there. this is for portable use. so id like to know if the ipad is worth a damn. hopefully that asks the question better

Haven't done any serious iPad recording, but I'm wondering why the laptops have been "plain horrid" - any modern machine should be at least somewhat decent when properly set up.

Android had latency issues back when i had it so only used caustic with touchscreen before. never liked mobile beat-making apps and have not much if any experience with those.
However there has to be people that have used those, I've heard good things about I-mpc, that touchscreen Maschine app also looked legit too.

if you buy an intel laptop with a fast CPU and use an audio interface it will be perfect. If you're on about using touch screens to play on, I'm not sure about that. An ipad will not perform great with complex productions. You pick the latency your self, the higher the latency the more tracks the project can run.

The laptops you bought must of been rubbish or configured very badly.

My current DJ laptop i5, a few years old now and reasonably priced, out performs my studio PC. You have to know what to look for. not all i5's are the same

Last edited:
i had an i7 2.5 ghz 4gb ram. and making beats the ram peaked 4 tracks in and recording was so delayed it was unusable even messing with the buffer size. i have a mac thats an i5 2.5 ghz bt thats home usage. i wanted something for on the go. but i did get the ipad and works already better than the i7 laptop i had. something about them pc computers and music just dont go together. never in a mac no matter how many tracks or effects there was 0 latency or of there was not by my ears lol. ipad with my stereo track as the beat on track one and 8 vocals is working great with the apogee one. ill never buy a pc again idk who ppl put up with latency one bit my friend says he is just used to it, i guess ha

lol!!! Yeah you stick with your macs then. If it works why did you ask?

Personally I prefer to build my own PC.

Any noobs reading this thread, don't fall for it!!!

mac, windows it doesn't matter.
system latency, ram and cpu matter.

but for value, windows. mac is still good because of it's limits that prevent most issues for those not interested in tech talk.

Well, 4Gbs in this day and age is a bit on the low end. While I'm a Mac user as well, there's no reason why that setup wouldn't have performed just fine with the right settings & some extra RAM.

Considering 32 bit doesn't use more than 4gb of ram. Which up until next month my DAW was 32 bit, thanks to a lot of VST's still being so and I hate vst bridge. The point this guy could only get a few tracks and referred it to maxing out the ram, shows he's either a troll or an idiot. The 4gb of ram should be fine, I have 8 but the system uses hardly any of it.

Now now mitchi and subliminal, no need to mince letters at each other. But he did ask a simple question really, there was no need for it.

But he legit thought you trolled him when askin if an ipad could do what a laptop of that caliber could do.
I've heard about how mpcs do 0ms latency when all they have is a 400mhz cpu in them?[DAM] but the same does not apply for bigger os like windows and ios.

My knowledge, and apparently his too is very limited as using a mobile device for beatmaking like android or ios is still in the beta stages.

Subliminal... Your question was fine but saying you get better performance on an ipad than an i7 laptop is just out right lying. I didn't believe you were lying so you were either not very bright or trolling. When you made the mac comment, it was like oh lol not this again! The ipad will not outperform an i7, period! Being a mac does not make it better! The ipad won't even come close. Even if the laptop wasn't tweaked for music production.

I wasn't been anal or pissed off, I was just being very clear to the level of your mistake.

Last edited:
Back