iPad Overheating In The Sun...Anybody Found A Solution?

PapaTom

I provided sound and music for a Memorial Day ceremony yesterday and everything went absolutely perfectly with my iPad as the audio source...until the very last song. The song finished, and then the iPad went blank except for a message telling me it had overheated and wouldn't work again until it cooled down.

This ceremony involved several top local and statewide officials, the parents of a recently fallen NYPD detective, and about four hundred police and firemen who would have beat the crap out of me if the system had shut down during "Amazing Grace" or one of the other somber musical moments. This was the first time I had used the iPad for this purpose, so, in a way, I'm glad I didn't have the stress of knowing this was a possibility. However, I have another ceremony to do tomorrow (a warmer day) and I need to know if I can keep this from happening again, or if I need to use a different audio source.

Does anybody have any fool-proof tips for keeping the ipad from overheating? Can I blow a fan on it?

Hmmmm. 39 views and 0 replies. I guess either nobody has had this problem, or nobody has a solution. Anyway, today, I brought along a desktop podium, put my mixer on top and put my ipad in the compartment below, out of the sun. This was a morning event and it never really got out of the low 70's, so I guess it wasn't a fair test. I will have to try this again when it's hot outside. Perhaps I will build a fan into the compartment.

But seriously, though, hope you learned a valuable lesson. "Always have back-up!"

(Also, "keep it out of the sun"-- doesn't matter whether it's an iPad, laptop, tape-player, or turntable with vinyl records)...

GJ

Last edited:
But seriously, though, hope you learned a valuable lesson. "Always have back-up!"

(Also, "keep it out of the sun"-- doesn't matter whether it's an iPad, laptop, tape-player, or turntable with vinyl records)...

GJ

When it comes to overheating, the surrounding temperature does play a significant role in the temperature of the technology.

Back