Ideas for my spec upgrades?

Coleman1

Coleman1
Sooooooooo I just found out, after thinking it was way better than this, that my computers specs are awful. This is obviously the reason for my insane buffer underruns and cpu issues. I'm using a toshiba c550 ddr3 and it's using:
- 2.1ghz dual core AMD Althon processor (Idk how to spell it)
- 2gb ram, and when running fl studio it has only 748mb available and 0mb free

Obviously the RAM is in blatant need of an upgrade and I'm likely going to upgrade it to 8GB, but about the processor; do I really have to get a better one? Or will it run okay on that? I'm not even sure if they sell processors for this model anymore..

Is it this one? Satellite C55D-A5380 AMD E1-1200

or this one?
SATELLITE C55D-A-14W

Find out the exact type number and then you can look up what cpu goes in there.

For one of the models, the inside looks like this
toshiba_c55d-b5214_inside.png
Top left is the cooling fan
A copper colored rod goes to the cpu.
Above that is the ram.

The ram is in a real need of upgrade yeah. Are you running windows 7 on there?
The mem upgrade won't cost you much and is easy to place. Depending on what the exact model number is, telling us what speeds your motherboard can handle, you can figure out what exact ram to put in there.

The cpu upgrade, well, the cpu should be able to handle it. Replacing the cpu is a bit more difficult then replacing the ram. You have to unscrew the fan, unscrew the cpu, clean the cooling block, place the cpu , apply cool paste, place the cooling block plus fan back. Depending on what exact model is in there , you can take a look at what a different cpu would cost and if there's a big improvement for what price.
Of course, you can find lot's of youtubes and help page on how to handle the ram or cpu upgrade.

Also, do you have a production A/I? That'll help as well for handling the audio. There's a big chance your laptop's crappy onboard soundcard and cpu are trying to make up for lacking a propper A/I.
Like discussed in this topic https://www.futureproducers.com/for.../buffer-underruns-driving-me-insane-493257/4/ .

Last edited:
An audio interface can make a 1ghz atom tablet use midi devices at 60ms latency. So i think you didnt get an audio interface coleman.

Negative. I am using a lexicon alpha and although the cpu was taken off a little bit, it's still not enough. I have to still push the buffer settings to the mad and yet again, it still doesn't work.

Yeah it's oh windows 7. That's all I'm wondering because I know the RAM needs upgrading more than anything but will the processor also HAVE to be upgraded..? i'll have a look at the exact model after. But I'm not using my computer's sound add, it's going through my interface.

At this point you'd be better off just getting another laptop or a desktop, some laptops are not meant for serious work or audio production in the pricerange.
It sounds like you are using many vsts or a vst that takes up a chunk by itself. If you can find a better cpu and ram for your laptop, I'd try that route first.
But then again I'll just keep suggesting saving up for a desktop that is built for heavy stuff.
I also recommend not using midi devices with it and just mouse/keyboard.

without reading too much of kkk's last response my instinct is get a new machine at least an i5 with 8gb of ram - if all you have is 2gb of ram with 1.25gb of that stolen by the OS, no wonder you have been having problems

whether you go laptop or desktop is down to you: processor speed is half the story, ram access times and buss speeds are the real story

without reading too much of kkk's last response my instinct is get a new machine at least an i5 with 8gb of ram - if all you have is 2gb of ram with 1.25gb of that stolen by the OS, no wonder you have been having problems

whether you go laptop or desktop is down to you: processor speed is half the story, ram access times and buss speeds are the real story

Back