I’m looking for a good and affordable audio interface for my iMac

danickerz

I’m looking for a good and affordable audio interface for my iMac.

According to this site, the Apogee One is the best audio interface to use when you’re using a Mac but the last time I checked, it’s about £255! I’m looking for something that would actually work on my iMac but hopefully under £100. Most of the audio interfaces on this list are pretty darn expensive too so I’m really caught in a difficult situation here.

I just want something that works and would last for at least a few years. I really don’t have a lot of money to spend on this because I just bought a new keyboard set.

Hopefully there’s something that would work for me!

Under £100? Maybe Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - I have seen that people who use Scarletts are quiet happy with them

Last edited:
While pro audio gear has come down substantially in price during the last decade or so, it's still not a cheap hobby - that £100 will get you a decent low-end interface (which doesn't mean bad, but just that it's sitting near the least-expensive-while-still-being-useful price point). That Apogee unit might be ok, but saying outright it's "the best" is just bullshit; what's best will depend on one's needs and, well, what kind of things need to be interfaced with. The Scarletts, Roland's Capture series, Steinberg's UR series, Tascam's US series - all are good enough for a beginner.

Under £100? Maybe Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - I have seen that people who use Scarletts are quiet happy with them

Thank you for your suggestion. I have read reviews about Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and so far, majority are good reviews. If it's more affordable, maybe I should go and try it.

While pro audio gear has come down substantially in price during the last decade or so, it's still not a cheap hobby - that £100 will get you a decent low-end interface (which doesn't mean bad, but just that it's sitting near the least-expensive-while-still-being-useful price point). That Apogee unit might be ok, but saying outright it's "the best" is just bullshit; what's best will depend on one's needs and, well, what kind of things need to be interfaced with. The Scarletts, Roland's Capture series, Steinberg's UR series, Tascam's US series - all are good enough for a beginner.

Thanks for your insight. Maybe I should go with Scarlett. They're more affordable than Apogee and has also good reviews.

As mentioned above the Focusrite Scarlet is probably your best option, there's alot of crap on the low end soundcard market, you get what you pay for.

Back