How do I connect my Scarlett 2i4 interface with my monitors to my computer?

eenie

Hello All,

I just recently bought an audio interface to improve the accuracy of my mixes as my computer's soundcard is garbage. Now the audio interface works fine as I connected it to my computer using a 3.5mm TRS to dual 1/4in TS cable which works with headphones. However, I want to connect my audio interface with my presonus 4.5 eris monitors but it seems to me that I may have to buy another set of cables to make this work?

I am new to audio engineering/producing music and want to learn how to properly connect the devices I am using.

Thank you!

xlr to trs the best type imo but trs to trs is also an option and double xlr to 3.5 with 1/4 adapter as well.
I have a 2i2 and a ur22 had to research that a while back myself.

The Eris doesn't have but TRS & RCA inputs - so I'd go TRS & TRS here (not that RCA is really any worse, maybe theoretically a bit more prone to interference). The other speaker connects from the first one via regular speaker cable.

The Eris doesn't have but TRS & RCA inputs - so I'd go TRS & TRS here (not that RCA is really any worse, maybe theoretically a bit more prone to interference). The other speaker connects from the first one via regular speaker cable.

Yup, you are correct. My Eris speakers only allow RCA/TRS inputs. Which TRS cables do you guys recommend for a beginner? Is it fine to buy the cheaper models from amazon?

Also, I want to clarify on how to connect it properly. If I want the scarlett to work as my default PC sound driver, it worked when I plugged it in the computer by using the 3.5mm TRS cable to dual 1/4 cable and connecting my headphones in the front of the 2i4. Would I just connect 1 TRS cable to one of the front Mic Pres?

Thanks to KonKossKang and krushing for your input!

Nothing really wrong with cheap cables. Expensive cabling tends to slip into the "snake oil" category a bit - while physical construction of them is one thing, the claimed audio quality differences are just nonsense (there might be some minor differences in terms of interference and such but this usually isn't an issue with short-ish cable runs). The copper in the cables, whether it costs $5 or $500 is the same damn thing.

As for the connections, use the balanced main outs in the back, if you go with TRS.

Right, I did that to connect the 2i4 to my PC but how do I connect my Eris 4.5 speakers to the 2i4 so that it will link to my PC to properly and still have the 2i4 as the main audio driver?

You just insert the speakers and that's it. At the back of course but in general that is just setting the default device in audio properties from the sound icon.

Hmmmm I may be explaining my issue incorrectly.

So I want to use the 2i4 as my audio interface with my eris 4.5 speakers for my desktop PC. I am unclear on how I should connect the 2 TRS cables to properly output sound from both speakers but still have the 2i4 set as the default audio driver.

I know how to connect the 2i4 as a standalone to my desktop PC and use that as the primary audio driver...same with my eris 4.5 speakers, I know how to connect them if they are not used in conjunction with each other. The issue is: connecting both the 2i4 and eris speakers to use them both but having the 2i4 as the main driver while outputting the audio through the eris speakers as well.

I apologize if it's still unclear, I can elaborate further if needed. :hmmm:

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Lol yes! That's what I want to do, but I just wanted to clarify which inputs/outputs the TRS cables should be connected to on the 2i4 as well as the eris. As mentioned before, I will buy another TRS cable as I only have one 1/4 dual 3.5mm TRS cable atm...just trying to make sure I connect it properly.

I already told you - the main TRS line outputs (balanced) or the RCA outputs (unbalanced) in the back of the 2i4. You need two TRS to TRS cables or RCAs.

Actually, for clarity's sake, just go with the TRS solution.

Back