Is this a good pc for music production`?

ImpulseBeats

Hi! Im going to get some stuff to get going with my new Electronica/ dubstep / house etc musicstudio. And Im wondering what kind of pc parts that are important for music production. Ive heard that RAM plays a big part of what is important in the computer aswell as a decent processor and ofc a good sound card.

The pc Ive been looking on is a laptop It got 8gb ram 2,1 ghz dual core processor , 650gb hard drive. Is this something that would be good for producing music? If so, does any1 know a good audio card that does not cost tons of money, Atm I dont have the highest budget to buy stuff with so a good audio card within the range 200$ - 300$ would be nice. Thank you. :)

I think 8gb of RAM is enough,(you will need x64 OS)but processor will hardly do his work.Get another processor if you can.At least something Core 2 duo. About hard drive, it will be enoug for the first time,then you can get some exterenal one.
There is a lot of audio interface within that price range,you can find good one in ebay.There will not be a huge difference between audio interfaces in that price range.All of them have the same category processors and convertors.

I cant post links yet but I bought this:
Gateway - Desktop Model DX4860-UB33P / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 8GB Memory / 1TB Hard Drive - $569.99 at Best Buy

thats the computer I just bought and its an absolute beast. I can run so many vsts and I can use the lowest latency possible (32ms) without even a hiccup. I use this computer strictly for making music, I just loaded it up with a ton of vsts. I just use my old laptop for everyday use.

Last edited:
I cant post links yet but I bought this:
Gateway - Desktop Model DX4860-UB33P / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 8GB Memory / 1TB Hard Drive - $569.99 at Best Buy

thats the computer I just bought and its an absolute beast. I can run so many vsts and I can use the lowest latency possible (32ms) without even a hiccup. I use this computer strictly for making music, I just loaded it up with a ton of vsts. I just use my old laptop for everyday use.
Good Choice!!!

Build your own PC. Don't buy off-the-shelf complete ones, 99% of them suck.

Things like power supply, motherboard, memory brand, cooling, hard drive brand, etc are usually really shit on off-the-shelf computers, and all of those things contribute to the smoothness and reliability of a PC (basically, off-the-shelf computers are the reason people think MAC's are better).

And building your own PC is much cheaper than buying a PC or MAC in-store.

Last edited:
Yeah definitely, if putting together the components is something you're comfortable with, then I would recommend building it yourself.

Back