Good $100 headphones with 10 foot cord. No folding/hinging nonsense. Closed back.

bussy233

I been searching for a day straight. I (and I think most others) don't need them to fold or hinge or any of that nonsense that makes you have to realign them before putting them on every time. If I need them to fold to pack away safely like in luggage, I can use a cardboard box lying around or go get a collapsible tubberware at the dollar store and put cookies in it at other times and it would be sturdier than folded headphones in a padded bag some of these come with. Well actually I use a heavy duty plastic case like a tool box for my fragile stuff in luggage but just saying.
They should make them just normal and add a $25 upgrade to have them fold and hinge into themselves and all that BS because I have found so many good options but they either fold or hinge. I had a decent pair but they hinged and folded and were a PITA every time I put them on so I returned them.
I'll be using them for gaming and music production.
I don't want anything too bass heavy because I think it might drown out everything. I can equalize more bass if I need I guess. I want just one cord, not one for each ear.

I need a 10 foot cord, or 9.8 foot, or 3meter or whatever as long as it's close, 12 foot would work too.
This past day I searched out as many as I could find with detachable cords but now I'm thinking I'll just stick with a fixed cord because it's one less connection to go bad and it's a lot easier to solder a torn cord vs replacing a finicky jack.
I currently have sennheiser HD428. They sound good enough to me. I don't like them because the cord is fixed and is not long enough, I put an adapter and it's real finicky needing to be just the right way or it distorts/mutes. I'm not counting on a replacement adapter to fix it. And the cord is way too thin, surprised it's lasting this long, otherwise I would just solder an extension to the end of the existing cord if that's possible and then sealing the splice with an epoxy or something.
sennheizer HD439 has a detachable cable and are about the same quality or a little better than the 428 I have. I would just get them and be done with it but I don't want that cable jack to eventually go bad so I'm asking for fixed cord options and am willing to spend more if the sound is better. The 439 is basically the same build design as my 428s which fit like a glove, nice and compact, not giant vintage looking headphones. They do pivot/swivel a tiny bit but they aren't like most the others that you go to put them on and they're all folded up and stuff. I put them on and off a lot when just surfing the web etc.

I wanted KOSS or skullcandy because they have lifetime warranty but it costs like $10 to ship it each way, so the only time I would justify that vs soldering a torn wire myself or replacing a ear pad I can get off ebay for $4 shipped is if the speaker blew, but I don't really listen too loud and my HD428s have lasted years without speaker issues.

I searched 10 foot 10' 9.8 foot 3m etc cord headphones but got to like page 7 of google results with almost no quality options.
If I have to go with detachable cord, I'm considering the Sennheiser HD439, NVX Audio XPT100 (but they look bulky but are said to be comfy but they have a cord for each can = it gets eventually gets twisted and trained and chokes you), and maybe Superlux HD-681 EVO I would get with detachable cord.
Actually, after writing all this out, I realize I might just open the 428 sennheisers I have and solder a 10 foot cord with 1/8 male jack. Can I just get any cheap cord like that off ebay or should it be a certain quality (audio-wise, not construction)? If so, I'm still willing to spend up to $100 if it will maybe double the sound quality of the HD428 which are like only $40 some places new but might have been about $80 at some point, I think I paid $60. I dunno how much they are really worth for a price-to-sound quality perspective.

thanks.

I just took my hd428 sennheisers apart to check how easy it is to solder a new wire in which is pretty simple, wish I had a smaller tip on my soldering iron but I'll make it work. I'm just wondering now if I should get a particular quality cable (1/8 male to male 10 foot) or if basically anything off ebay in that size will work as good as anything can.

In case this helps anyone, to find the cords on ebay, here's basically what you want to search for to omit a lot of stuff you don't want to sift through:
3.5mm 10ft -splitter -rca -molex -flat -tygon -fuel -6 -vga -1m -2m -5 -2ft -1/4 -3ft -5ft -6ft -15ft -usb

They have ones around $9 that sound high quality and have a lifetime warranty (Hosa etc)

I got some off brand for 10' $3.99 shipped. says lifetime warranty but probably easier to spend $4 again if it breaks than to go through a warranty process. If I had higher-end headphones, I'd get a legit brand in a sealed package or with logo branding to avoid possibly these aren't even as described but I will be cutting ones end so I should see the shielding etc.
Cable features: •CL2 Certified for In-wall installations.
•24k Gold plated connectors, to provide static free signal transfer
•High-Density Copper Braid along with 100% Aluminum foil shield for maximum reduction of interference
•High-Flex Technology, to provide great audio performance in any cable shape
•High-Purity Oxygen-Free Copper conductor to eliminate signal degradation

Warranty:
Lifetime

Last edited:
Back