Focusrite 2i4 not outputting audio to speakers??

ThirdEye616

Hey,

So I got this focusrite 2i4 2nd-gen soundcard yesterday.

I did all the usual setup bits, drivers etc, and it registers sound on the PC.
Yet when I connect speakers to the RCA unbalanced inputs on the back, there's nothing coming out the speakers.

I tried some old small monitors via RCA, nothing happened. Tried using my main focal alphas, the Focusrite only takes balanced 1/4 inch jacks or RCAS, so I used the single phono RCA input on the back of each focal speaker which are just white, (not sure if that requires a certain RCA) still no output...

I manage to get input via my mic etc through Ableton and all that but the only way I managed to get anything was to use microsoft drivers with the focusrite I/O's on Ableton which had a good amount of delay, but regardless I'm not using my PC drivers.

So if anyone can suggest anything that'd be great, I'm gonna reinstall everything again but I spent all night trying to get it to work with no success anyway, so hopefully I can get this sorted today.

Last edited:
How many years have you been a PC user? Look into a Mac or MacBook, I recommend, as I have it, the MacBook Pro, and you won't be disappointed.

Dunno haha since I was like 4 or 5, but nah I have a macbook, just the motherboard is busted. It's not even the PC thing anyway, it's just something with the audio interface, or maybe the drivers. I only need to use it anyway cause I got a mic and I need phantom power, which my mixer/soundcard doesn't do. It's like the simplest thing anyway, should just do it's thing...

So the Focusrite drivers aren't working? It might be worth a try to uninstall them, and, if you didn't do so in the first place, follow the instructions in the manual exactly like they've said (ie. for example not connecting the interface before the drivers are installed). Of course it shouldn't be that tricky in the year 2017, but Windows and audio drivers have been like that in the past – do something differently and they just mysteriously refuse to work.

If this fails (also check that your cables work - note that you can use pretty much any combination of RCA/RCA, RCA/XLR, 1/4"/RCA, 1/4"/XLR), I'd probably contact Focusrite's support. They've been fairly responsive in the past and will probably sort this out for you.

Back