Focusrite 1st Gen vs 2nd Gen

makingofgotham

Are there any major differences between the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 first gen and second gen? Would buying the new version be worth the investment if you already have the first gen?

Not sure what the "nature of the interfaces" means, but there are some tangible differences - lower latency (although the 2nd gen drivers work to an extent on the 1st gen units as well), more even gain structure (the 1st gen units' gain range tended to be bundled towards the loud end), higher maximum sample rate, surge protection, new instrument input with more headroom. Also some new plugins, I think.

Not sure what the "nature of the interfaces" means, but there are some tangible differences - lower latency (although the 2nd gen drivers work to an extent on the 1st gen units as well), more even gain structure (the 1st gen units' gain range tended to be bundled towards the loud end), higher maximum sample rate, surge protection, new instrument input with more headroom. Also some new plugins, I think.
Would you put down the money for the 2nd gen if you have a 1st gen working perfectly? Placing myself in Gotham's shoes. I expect him not to earn his full living with production cuz then I'd expect someone to have a better AI. Even though the scarlet is very nice.

You're completely right, however i seen a lot of producers use the scarlett and they seem to be quite successful, I'm just a beginner though

Would you put down the money for the 2nd gen if you have a 1st gen working perfectly? Placing myself in Gotham's shoes. I expect him not to earn his full living with production cuz then I'd expect someone to have a better AI. Even though the scarlet is very nice.

Probably not, seeing the latency is probably the most annoying thing and that, as mentioned, can be fixed with the new drivers.

One of these days might replace my ur22 with something, not sure lol.
Either a tascam 366 or another interface that has internal loopback.

if i do a quick list (come up with it in a few minutes)
it'd be from cheap to more expensive:
scarlett solo
esi u22 xt
NI Komplete audio 6 v21
Motu IIc
audient id22
motu track 16 with breakout cable
rme babyface with breakout cable
motu audio express

I wouldn't be willing to pay more atm

My focus would probably be on a scarlet if I go el cheapo and motu if i go for more expensive

Back