Firewire help

guesswork

I'm looking to switch from USB 2.0 (Scarlett 2i2) to Firewire audio device on my Macbook Pro strictly because I have too many USB devices connected (2 daisy-chained powered hubs and an external USB monitor).

I'm on a budget so I was wondering if such a thing as a Firewire equivalent of the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 exists.

By equivalent I don't mean a Focusrite product, but rather something that has the same reputation as the Scarlett (value for money, decent hardware, good reviews, good for beginners etc.).

I'm having a hard time finding anything in the $150-300 range - is it not possible to get a decent beginner's Firewire device in that price range?

I have been looking at Behringer FCA610 which has some quite mixed reviews and Focusrite Saffire (above my budget) so I would love some suggestions.

PS. I don't mind buying used if anyone has any suggestions for some discontinued products that would fit the price range.

Last edited:
The Scarlett series is basically an USB version of the earlier Saffire series, so if you want something really similar, look at the Saffire Pro 14 or 24. I'm still running the Pro 40 here and not in a hurry to switch anytime soon. Be sure to check which kind of FireWire chip your computer has, as FW interfaces can sometimes be a bit fussy about that.

Back