Does Anyone Here Build Computers?

CrayolaBounce

If so drop a couple specs pics and prices coz it's about that time to step up again for me... Looking forward to seeing what talent is around.

I guess I'll start this off.

l_e9b037c1c9acafec69ee8f2a7f8a5662.jpg

This is the Antec P182 case. I love this case soo much. The cable routing makes for good airflow and a very clean look on the inside.

l_e9dae2b268240c48845b5070396275d0.jpg

Here's the inside of the case. And a list of my specs.

Asus P5K-E
Q6600 @ 3.2 ghz
2 gigs Mushkin XP2 DDR2-800 @ 961 mhz
Asus Silent Square Evo
Nvidia 8500GT(silent video card)
M-Audio Delta 66
Lite on Sata DVD-RW drive(not pictured)
14 in 1 memory card reader(not pictured)
4 x Quiet case fans (3 shown above, not counting the heatsink)

l_42c25728d2179c163699a73411974873.jpg

A close up of the Mushkin ram.

l_aefc160b23c980a8ae0cd589fec43d8c.jpg

Here is a shot of the bottom cage.

To the left is my 600 watt Nexus silent power supply (nx-8060), in the middle is the 4th case fan that blows over the hdd's to keep them nice and cool, and to the right are the 4 hdds.

I have my hdd's set up like this:
1 x 320 gig OS disk dual boot running XP Pro 32 bare bones for audio and Vista Business 64 for general use.
1 x 320 gig Project drive triple partitioned(1 Project partition and 2 recording partitions).
1 x 160 gig Samples drive
1 x 750 gig Backup drive running Acronis TrueImage(In vista)

l_fb194cb224ad82ab8e54e7d210577ddf.jpg

Here is one final view of the whole system. I put a lot of thought into the design and took my time putting it together.

Total cost of what I have described minus the 160 gig hdd is somewhere around $1400. This system is overclocked and is 13+ hours prime 95 stable. I do superPi runs in just under 16 seconds and have very high memory bandwidth(I would post a number but I uninstalled Sandra after I had the system how I wanted it).

Anybody else have a build they want to show??

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I planned it out for about a year. Saved up what I needed and built a system that will last me a long time.

^^^^^ How did you get the inside so "clean"(really can't see the cables)? Mine is cluttered with cables.

C-Lovely said:
^^^^^ How did you get the inside so "clean"(really can't see the cables)? Mine is cluttered with cables.
That is a result of the P182 cable management system. All the power supply cables are routed thru the back panel that is located behind the motherboard. It took forever to do but as you can see the result is very very nice.

I'm biting some ideas from that system. I'm about to rebuild mine, so we'll see how it comes together.

L-Treezy said:
I'm biting some ideas from that system. I'm about to rebuild mine, so we'll see how it comes together.

Awesome. Let us know how it turns out. And be sure to post some pics here.

in case anyone was planning on buy one from sweetwater here are the specs to build it yourself

Intel Q6600
Enermax Rackmount 4U Chassis (ICS-443B)
lite-on LH-20A1L-06
Rosewill RCR-102 52-in-1 USB 2.0 Card Reader
ASUS P5K WS LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
Antec earthwatts 500W Power Supply
GIGABYTE GV-NX86T512H GeForce 8600GT video card
ZALMAN 9500A 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
3x glyph 500gb hdd ( i recommend Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb....almost same drive with more cache half the price)
lifetime memory 4x 1gb ddr2-800mhz

sweetwater retail price $3000
build price about $1500

Mr.FoFITH said:
Enermax Rackmount 4U Chassis (ICS-443B)

When building my system I came real close to buying a rack mount case, but I couldn't really find any that I liked. That one looks pretty nice thou.

Damn, DirtyJap got me beat with my system... I don't even use a tower anymore, but I'll take a picture within the next day or so of my last rig that I built before I moved onto my laptop a few years ago...
Peace
S II

yo dirtyjap im bout to jock ur system son cuz that **** is SICK.. props..

Putting the computer together is the fun part, it pretty much takes no time.... It takes longer to install Windows and the drivers than to put the pieces together..... Yo DirtyJap, Do you have your A+ Certification yet?
Peace
S II

konchus said:
hey dirty, when did u put the whole thing together? and after u had all the pieces how much time did it take to put it together with all that cable routing and all...

i have a wishlist on newegg and i decided to watch it for about 2 months to see if there will be any price drops

check it out

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.asp?ID=11443607
It won't let me view your list.

I built my system right after New Years. Building the system took about an hour and the cable routing took about the same. I really took my time routing the cables to get the cleanest possible look and the P182 made that possible. Setting up the OS and debugging problems defiantly took the most time. Then there was overclocking and stripping down the OS for DAW work. All in all it took about 2 weeks benchmarking and several late nights tweaking bios setting just to get everything stable and ready for production work. But hey the end result was latencies below 2ms. Not to mention that the projects that brought my old P4 to it's knees don't even phase my new machine(which was what I expected, but seeing it felt damn good).

BlackImpact said:
Do you have your A+ Certification yet?
Nope...not yet. Maybe I will once I can get a job in the field.

dirtyjap said:
It won't let me view your list.

I built my system right after New Years. Building the system took about an hour and the cable routing took about the same. I really took my time routing the cables to get the cleanest possible look and the P182 made that possible. Setting up the OS and debugging problems defiantly took the most time. Then there was overclocking and stripping down the OS for DAW work. All in all it took about 2 weeks benchmarking and several late nights tweaking bios setting just to get everything stable and ready for production work. But hey the end result was latencies below 2ms. Not to mention that the projects that brought my old P4 to it's knees don't even phase my new machine(which was what I expected, but seeing it felt damn good

I don't have my A+ yet either, I want to take it, but I need to do a lot of review because it's been a while since I read the textbooks, all I do is actually diagnose and Operating Systems on computers. Not too much hardware debugging nowadays...
Peace
S II

Back