Demand for music production tablet?

DJFUNGI

I'm trying to figure out if there's a demand for a professional-grade music production tablet. Everything I've found online seems mediocre and I'm willing to invest in developing one if there's a proper demand.

One of my biggest problems is that I'll have an idea away from the computer and there have been many times where I wosh I had a tablet that I could quickly create an arrangement to go back to later.

If you would be interested in buying one, what would you look for? Anything specific? What would you be willing to spend on something like this.

There is a demand for it. IOS is kind of winning with production apps and hardware. All these external gizmos and gadgets hanging from iPhones and iPads. IOS gives you better latency if you compare it to android. I'm not too into the closed environment of IOS, but I have a couple phones and tablets. Windows tablets haven't really grabbed much of the market in comparison to the other two. Honestly they all don't give you want you want when talking audio production though. If a tablet itself was built for audio production then the usual things still apply. It'll turn into making a more condensed laptop/PC. The problem is mostly to to do with form factors and standards being nonexistent.

Hardware: Good CPU, nice amount of ram, not locked into onboard storage, and I think something that works like a laptop PCI card so your not stuck with the same peripherals and leaves it open for possibilities of expansion of your audio ports. Some kind of standard to your brand.

Software: Open platform to expand when talking OS. Daw just something that gives you much tweak-ability to your sound, selecting your own one-shot samples, a lag free pianoroll that is touch friendly and gives you a good view of time. Also some kind of wav editing. Most PC daws don't need a large amount of stuff put in it. For soft synths its a bit different because from what I see is there is not any plugin standards for mobile yet. I really just want to see the basics, but have it sound good enough to where it wont sound mediocre like its bare bone presets and it to be easy to get your ideas out and into the software. The price is hard to think of because these things grow bigger and everything is not all there on the 1.0 release.
Cubasis is the closest thing I could think of.

Last edited:
I guess the reference point - the bar to be raised is somewhere along the lines of an iPad, Auria, Beatmaker 2 & Lemur. Now we also have Midimux & Audiomux & a bunch of compatible audio interfaces; actually besting this on both the hardware side and the software side, even if it's "dedicated", is gonna be a pretty tough call.

The one thing tablets don't have (yet) is tactility. That might be a vector of approach - physical controls together with the tablet form factor. That's really the one thing that puts me off using it more - having to look at the damn thing every time I want to do something instead of just grabbing a control, one-handedly.

Had laptops desktops android/ios/windows tablets and stuck with one desktop and sold the others years back with toshiba encore as an exception.

I'd spend 200$ on a rectangular windows machine with usb slots,7 or 8 preferred 64gb of built in hdd space, 6000maH battery expandable microsdcard slot up to 64gb and probably an i3 equivalent clocked at 2ghz with integrated graphics for light gaming, 800x600 30fps on bioshock series at most.

hm...8-10 inches prolly.

I'm trying to figure out if there's a demand for a professional-grade music production tablet. Everything I've found online seems mediocre and I'm willing to invest in developing one if there's a proper demand.

One of my biggest problems is that I'll have an idea away from the computer and there have been many times where I wosh I had a tablet that I could quickly create an arrangement to go back to later.

If you would be interested in buying one, what would you look for? Anything specific? What would you be willing to spend on something like this.

Why would you have a "music production tablet" when you could just create software (that already exists) on tablets to sell? It doesn't really make much sense to me when tablets could run DAWs with their specs.

If anything, getting a hardware component or MIDI to work on those tablet apps would definitely attract people.

Last edited:

Yes. I would like one.

I have been searching for a tablet for music prouction for some time now and it seems they arent cheap enough.

There are some fast ones. I think it is a matter of time.

They will get faster AND cheap enough to want on the side, liek 100 dollars.

I am hoping for something more like a convertible though. To me now this is more plausible. More likely for me to get.

Thanks, and good question.

P.S>

I'm a pc man myself. I stick to pcs. They are less expensive but are still quality.

I own an HP ENVY J-100 QUAD edition.

DELL XPS 8500.

I have ideas if you want them for a tablet. Such as thicker to accomadte larger pieces of PCI's and hardware solutions.

Back