Computer Help??

Daniel600

whats up? Im looking into getting a new computer this week. Would a computer with theses specs be a good computer for beat making on FL Studio.

HP ENVY 700xt Desktop
SKU:J6N59AV#ABA_1
Hide customized details
  • Intel HD Graphics [DVI-D]
  • 4th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 processor quad-core [3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
  • 12GB DDR3-1600MHz [2 DIMMs]
  • 1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
The computer that i am currently using can't handle alot of plugins or vsts, and is constantly making crackling noises. Will this computer stop the CPU underruns? I use Vsts and plugins like Nexus 2 Gladiator 2 Purity Izotope Ozone 5 and many more. Any help/ response is appreciated. Thanks

That computer will handle things just fine. But I imagine Ozone is heavy on any cpu and is not really meant to be used during the production, but rather when it's all finished. Even with immensely powerful computers, if you use too many cpu hungry plugins you're gonna run into some problems. I would try to structure my productions smarter and bounce certain tracks that I know demand a lot to wav when I'm happy with them or freeze it.

As I'm a Mac user I can't be very specific on advice. It looks fairly well spec'd. Be aware that if you are using any 32bit apps or drivers they can only reference 4gb of memory so 64bit options are going to be more use to you to make use of the 12gb.

As logic7 asks, what audio interface are you currently using or planning to use. If you have a poorly spec'd audio card and your performance settings are not optimal then you will get audio drop outs. Without causing offence a typical problem results when someone makes the mistake of thinking the smallest buffer + highest frequency is best because it seems to give the lowest latency. However it puts more stress on the cpu and it may not be able to keep up so the audio drops. You may want to check this before you upgrade.

Last edited:
Back