Buffer underruns driving me insane

Oh, and I didn't do anything, just when I started to use more layers/more thing a being played all at once, that's when the cpu couldn't handle it.

If you already have a "not built in" soundcard that comes from your computer you won't need a 2i2, presonus audiobox or others like those.
I have a dualcore 3ghz pentium g203 machine that I plan on replacing once I find a mobo for a lil build. 3ghz can struggle on the big things too.
I'd recommend a machine that is AT LEAST, an i3 or an amd a4 and nothing less at all.Possible in the 300-500$ range if you aren't building.
If you will build, 250-400$ for specs that would top my 3ghz pentium g203 machine.

Also, make use of midi channels on heavy programs{these allow you to use multiples in one instance of a vst}

With anything over $400, it feels as if I'm better off just getting a new computer. I thought all I had to do was just upgrade my cpu. Ugh haha...

Upgrading all specific parts, possible for desktop only.
Upgrading ram/gpu possible for laptops/tablets, but gpu upgrade can only be external for now.

If you aren't willing to build, could save up, or just bounce your midi to save cpu like bandcoach said.

Yeah well I mean in all honesty I will get a new PC or mac eventually. Like not ages away but not soon, so that's why I'm willing to spend just a little to temporarily allow me to use my current PC without it crackling until that day does come.

yeah maybe freezing tracks is the solution for this

ps deranged, I'm still using a p4 3Ghz processor

hehe, I JUST got off my Socket478 P4. My desktop DAW is now running a Pentium D 950 w/4GB RAM (which is not a lot more than two Pentium 4 HT 650's grafted together).

Yeah well I mean in all honesty I will get a new PC or mac eventually. Like not ages away but not soon, so that's why I'm willing to spend just a little to temporarily allow me to use my current PC without it crackling until that day does come.

Buy a dedicated audio interface. Guitar Center has the Lexicon Alpha on sale right now for $49. You likely don't need a new computer, just a good interface.

Last edited by a moderator:
You sure it's an audio interface I need? I heard it improves the latency, like the lag and delay of instruments etc but does it actually stop the crackling and freezing? I don't know how that and cpu relate but it's still underrunning....

hehe, I JUST got off my Socket478 P4. My desktop DAW is now running a Pentium D 950 w/4GB RAM (which is not a lot more than two Pentium 4 HT 650's grafted together).

my next machine for production is Dell T5400 server with a Quad-Core Intel® Xeon® Processor 5400 series (looks like a regular desktop tower) and 16gb of RAM

new soundcard (or maybe I just use my Tascam FW1884 8 channel interface/mix control surface :)

You sure it's an audio interface I need? I heard it improves the latency, like the lag and delay of instruments etc but does it actually stop the crackling and freezing? I don't know how that and cpu relate but it's still underrunning....

if you are running a motherboard based soundcard then your cpu is handling the lions share of the processing with an external soundcard some of that should be offloaded to the dedicated dsp in the card/box

in addition the asio drivers for an external/card/interface will be better than asio4all which has only ever been a stopgap measure to try and bring the motherboard based cards into the same ballpark as the rest; this means that buffer sizes can be accurately set and managed to minimise under-runs (i.e. the processing bottleneck (which causes under-runs) is no longer based on what your motherboard can do but on what the interface itself can do)

Last edited:
Most likely, the CPU is not your problem.
You cannot expect to run many channels on a plain laptop audio interface (built in) it just doesn't have what it takes.
You should buy a proper external card as all the audio processing is happening on the audio interface not the CPU itself.

That being said, if you really insist consider the following tips:
1. Install the ASIO For All driver (usually comes with FL Studio) and make sure you use this.
2. every time you finish working on a few channels, export them (solo all of them then export) remove them and use the exported audio as 1 channel. Then you could actually add as many as you want - but that's a really long weird and frustrating way to work. It will work!
3. Most DAWs have a freeze button - don't know if FL Studio. Freeze just makes your channel (lets say a VST that's playing something) into a wav and you also have the option to unload the VST. This frees CPU and Memory but this will not help much if you still have many channels - then you must go back to step 2.

Or -- use a proper audio interface, then just freeze channels as you finish working on them. That's the best and most conservative way to go about it.

I would go for something like Native Instruments Komplete
this is not too expensive and is a great interface.

Last edited by a moderator:
my next machine for production is Dell T5400 server with a Quad-Core Intel® Xeon® Processor 5400 series (looks like a regular desktop tower) and 16gb of RAM

Yeah, the Precision T5400's are good machines. I had a project at the office where I had to use 4 of them loaded to the gills with two quad core Xeon 5400 series procs, a quad port gig ethernet card, and 64GB of RAM as VMWare Vsphere 4 hosts 'cause my boss pulled my budget at the last minute and we had a closet full of them. Worked beautifully. Wouldn't mind having one myself or even the older Precision 690 with a pair of quad core Xeons.

Hey guys so an update;
- I bought an audio interface and it has jumped the cpu down a moderate amount, but it's STILL doing it. I've come to the conclusion it has to be my processor or something. I heard people say that Intel is better than AMD (which is what I have), but getting a decent intel processor is expensive for me right now and I don't know what to do.

are you using the ASIO driver for your interface??? And, what kind of interface did you buy?

In all honesty, your gonna be better off buying a new laptop or desktop. Putting 200 bucks or something in the laptop is probably doubling it's market value. Makes you wonder if that is gonna be worth it.
There's probably a nice setup for 400 bucks that'll do the trick pretty well. Otherwise, buy second hand. Maybe from a second hand reseller that also will give you some sort of warrantee.
Above comment from logic still matters though. Imo, I'd consider that the last step.
You can't make a nice cake from shit!:p

Last edited:
In all honesty, your gonna be better off buying a new laptop or desktop.

For what??? What he has is likely more than enough.

Above comment from logic still matters though. Imo, I'd consider that the last step. You can't make a nice cake from shit!:p

With a decent interface, even an old ass P4 or less can be used to compose good music. A decent interface is the first thing anyone should look into.

He did buy an interface and that didnt solve it.
Yeah, it runs on older cpus, but combine that with Windows 7 or higher and it'll definitely limit you. Certainly with so little ram on top of that. He also tried everything on imageline.
It could also be faulty hardware.
I might be spoiled but I'd find this not worth the trouble trying to fix or upgrade.
I refer to my last post in this topic.

Last edited:
He did buy an interface and that didnt solve it.
Yeah, it runs on older cpus, but combine that with Windows 7 or higher and it'll definitely limit you. Certainly with so little ram on top of that. He also tried everything on imageline.

You're limited only by your understanding of recording techniques. I can still make music on a P3 if it's set up properly.

It could also be faulty hardware.
I might be spoiled but I'd find this not worth the trouble trying to fix or upgrade.
I refer to my last post in this topic.

I'm making music on a 5 year old low-power i3 based laptop. I also have an intel Atom N450 based netbook that I can make music with (using the same Lexicon Alpha interface from my main laptop). It's all about knowing how to work with what you have.

Back