Best Storage Method for Music Production Back Up...???

Chew_Bear

Thinking of going with...

1. Internal SSD: For 'ALL' my music production related programs/software/plugins.

Figured I can get 'optimal' DAW, computer and plugin latency performance by doing this.

2. External HD: For 'ALL' my current music, samples and any songs I create myself.

3. External HD: 'Backup' for the 2 storage drives mentioned above.

4. Cloud Storage: 50/50...on the fence right now...???

Which setups/methods do you think is 'best' for storage and backup of music files/data in Music Production...???

Do you think my method might be too cluttered/overkill...? What are you running...?

Thanks.

There is no such thing as cluttered and overkill in computers, because that is the user's preference. 1 harddrive or 20 harddrives connected to eachother it really depends on what you plan on doing with one.
Hypothetically speaking you can connect as many hdds as you want. Cloud storage is probably a useful solution, but as current internet speeds are,it will be quite a while [5 years at the least] before backing up a 1gb file is the same as doing it offline.[Optimistically speaking of course]

Speaking of which, disconnecting from the internet slightly improves audio interface latency performance as well. The cpu, ram and audiocard will affect latency alot. especially the cpu. ESPECIALLY believe me the cpu matters for everything audio related.
Although a good hdd will be fast as well. disabling windows search slows the hdd down alittle but boosts cpu performance also.

rather than external hdd's use an internal one separate to the os/programs drive - even with the best interfaces (USB3 or thunderbolt) there is still an overhead/bottleneck

then get yourself a network storage drive (one with an ethernet/wifi connection at 1 or 10 gbps) with synchronisation/backup software running every day (when you should be asleep) - some call this a home cloud; I have 6 tb of network storage at the moment. Every six months I burn older finalised projects off to dvd/bluray and free up local and network storage

then go with some form of external cloud for important files - really be certain about what you are paying for and what you can reasonably expect - do not forget to include things like internet connectivity (upload and download bandwidth and data per month when doing this) into the final cost of using an external cloud storage provider.....

Back