Audio Interface UPGRADE recommendations!

beactcutters

Hello fellow producers,

I am currently in the market for an audio interface upgrade. It is a tough decision I must say and I would just like to get some recommendations from any of you as to which one(s) are the best fit for what I need. One thing that I must add is that my computer only has a firewire port and usb capabilities. I wish PC made thunderbolt, because the UAD SOLO looks like something that I'd be interested in with regards to price, quality, and features. Perhaps you guys could point something out in the PC platform that rivals it or at least comes close? I would like something with a top of the line mic pre-amp and similar in size and price range. Im sure there are none that have on board digital processing but a Mic preamp is major and a desktop design also.

Here is my gear list posted on my blog and maybe you could help me out: Beat Cutters: How I put together a 'Production Studio'

Last edited:
If you are running a PC then I'd say the RME range is the way to go dude. Real top end stuff.

Thank you guys for your replies! I have heard some good things about the RME babyface from research of my own. How much better is their mic pres compared to the Desktop Konnekt 6 by TC electronics? The reason I ask is because I have heard from an article off of Recording revolution that it is best to get the best sound from the source, rather than relying on the mixing and mastering stages. Hence why I would like to improve my front end, starting with my Mic pres.

RME and Audient make the bet Mic Pre's in the business IMO. TC make great gear, and I'm a huge fan of their effects processing, but Mic Preamps? I would say they are probably somewhat lower down the list than RME.

You are totally right though, get the best sound at source. A great mic and preamp, along with an interface and mixing vocals is (often) a breeze.

I am looking at the website of Audient as we speak. I can honestly say that I have never heard of this brand before, but the iD22 looks very intriguing! Thank you for sharing good sir. What pre amp or interface do you rock with?

Ha. I use an Audient iD22 as my desktop monitor controller/quick access interface. They are the same mic pre's in them as the bigger Audient desks. I always use Audient Preamps for recording.

Audient is top of the line as well, might be overkill for what you are doing. That being said I think this thread would be better served if we had a clearer understanding about what you will be recording.

hey weswook, basically I want that warm, sharp, vocal presence that cuts through the mix. I want to keep my vocals with little digital processing as possible since my vocals,delivery, and pronunciation are what I focus on when recording. The reason is because I don't like doubling my vocals or use a lot of ad-libs. slight touch of delay, eq, reverb, compression. I do mostly hiphop. I also plan on doing the bulk of my own mixing and I would rather use less processing to save my self the headache. the source is what I'm after, if that makes any sense.
Also, what do u mean by overkill? are certain grades of pre-amps not worth it to spend money on depending on the genre or type of music?

How about the crimson SPL? I hear both the audient id22 and crimson are closely matched and have similar target market and price point? anyone ever done an a/b shootout on both interfaces? which has better pres?

If the mic pre is so important to you, why not keep the interface & preamp separate? That way you'll have a lot more choice.

See thats the thing, I know I need to improve my vocal source but due to my lack of knowledge I am not sure If I should:

A) upgrade to better audio interface with better mix pres on them
B) Keep my current audio interface (konnekt 6) and just get a separate preamp like u said
or
C) (this option I read on recording revolution) get a channel strip which also improves front end quality.

anyone?

It was tough desicion for me too..Cause i had focusirte scarlett 6i6 but when i upgraded to audient id 14 i thought i had bought new speakers too!..The difference was so big. i reviewed this audio interface and i test this with my vocals.Do you think guys that the vocals from this interface are lifeless or its problem of my mic se 2200a ii c?

Last edited:
Back