Audio Interface or Mixer? or Both?

TR3NZO

I'm a beginner producer who is familiar with using FL Studio. I just received two analog devices, a graphic equalizer and a Tascam 112MKII, These are my first ever pieces of analog outboard gear and I love them. I'm not sure what audio interface I should get now because I now have these two analog devices and I really want to use more analog gear. I only wanted to get a basic audio interface just so I can get audio out of my laptop to some studio monitors, but now I want to use more analog gear. I know I'm gonna need more inputs for my analog gear so should I get a mixer instead of an audio interface? or are they the same thing? Also how can I record the processed analog signal?

Last edited:
If you're planning to add even more gear you need a mixer and a patchbay. Mixer wise look for some used Mackie VLZ models. They sound pretty good. A patchbay should be inexpensive. But you also still will need a soundcard.
Now if the soundcard has many inputs (lets say 8) you can leave out the mixer since you can sue the digital mixer inside your soundcard.

Nice! thanks for the tip! I appreciate it. I see there a multiple ways to do certain tasks, thats what I love about producing / engineering in general but I also see how getting a patch bay would help so much and make routing a lot easier but I'll probably hold on that for now since I just got my monitors and a sub. The audio interface is coming soon but I managed to rout my laptop's output jack to my sub then my speakers without an interface for now. I'll be posting pictures and updates in other threads. I'm so exited to start this journey and see everyone on Future Producers continue theirs. :)

I'm trying to decipher between a mixer, or audio interface for live use at this time. It seems they are coming out with some decent combinations of this, but only time will tell.

Back