Audio Interface help needed

jasonace7

Hey guys!

Today i've been searching and searching for the right awnser but i am not getting closer.

I am producing with Fl studio 12 and i have Mackie Cr3 speakers (I know they are not the best). I've heard an audio interface will make sound better (Talking about quality of sound and not about a bad mix getting better). I want to know if buying a cheap audio interface will make a diffrence because i dont even have a sound card besides the integrated one. I dont really need to connect guitars or mic or such, i do have a keyboard i could connect. But the main focus is clearer sound and maybe less cpu problems in fl studio.

I hope someone wants to help me :)

(Sorry for bad english)

THX

Last edited:
There's not going to be a huge jump in quality with a cheapo external interface. Or lets say that while there's going to be a slight upgrade, the effects of it have been highly exaggerated, mainly because people often tend to buy their first proper speakers along with their first interface and then attribute some of that huge quality jump to the interface. Or volume differences. Or something like that - but the bottom line is, that those cheapo interfaces use cheapo D/A (Digital to Analog converter) chips much like the one in your integrated one. And given that you have rather cheap monitors, and I can assume that you're probably not in an acoustically pristine space, that converter differences - even if you dropped a few grand on the best damn converter there is - would be lost in that setup.

Better quality of sound, maybe. Mackie CR3 might not be the *best* monitors out there but they're ok. I assume you also use headphones. An entry-level audio interface will NOT help with CPU problems, it does not offload work from the CPU.

Something entry level but good like from the Focusrite Scarlett series will be an improvement over the built-in soundcard in your laptop. Clearer sound, more headroom, etc.

An entry-level audio interface will NOT help with CPU problems, it does not offload work from the CPU.

Nor will a high-end interface, for that matter - that's simply not what audio interfaces do. Interfaces with built-in DSP platforms like the UAD Apollo, are a different thing.

Back